Bottled Ship Builder

The princess royal 1841

Just found this on a carboot sale, £3.00! 

Box sealed with very old dried out sticky tape, so I thought I won’t damage the box and try to open it, I will wait until I get home and gently cut the tape and open it. So I set off home, excited to see what looks like a great find from 1988, once home I carefully open the box to find everything but.....?..

109EE53A-F0B0-4783-986E-83513E0C89BD.jpeg

2857393D-1264-41C8-B27D-8A0A8B30089F.jpeg

7FA2FBB2-4F0C-4BC6-9CAA-13056DA5F72D.jpeg

Hi James, I just bought one of these kits also but not at the bargain you got. The putty will be hardened and useless by now but no big deal since putty availability is not a problem. My bottle was made in France and doesn't have the imprint on it. But these Authentic Model kits are just about the best I've seen at the price ( the Amati models look superb but are almost $100 USD). I also have an AM "Privateer" that I think is a better kit but not modeled on an historic model. The Privateer kit has a nice hardwood hull that I had trouble getting an electric drill to hole. It also comes in a neat little wood box.  I couldn't resist starting to build the model but had to shelve it for a while so it's still in "dry dock". The instruction sheet is excellent. I've collected about six different kits now and these are my favorite. I'm sure you will enjoy this build.

That's too bad! My hull isn't anything too special and I'm sure you can make one from the plans. I like the hull I got in the AM Privateer though, it's top notch. 

The bottle I got with my AM Princess Royal is actually very nice, it was made in Germany, not France, the AM Privateer bottle I have was made in France.

So for £3 you got ship plans, a nice set of instructions, a suit of sails, a nice bottle stand and some bamboo skewers. Mine cost six times that but I got a complete package. I really can't justify the cost of these kits but having a ship plan and a bottle to fit the plan is essential.

• 2 months later...

Hello All, 

First time poster here. I have built a few wood ship kits, (I was  a student of Frank Mastini back in the late 1970's). I picked up my Princess Royal Ship in a bottle kit many years ago at DisneyWorld! Build is going OK, I will post pics to point where I am at..but I need a hand if anyone can help. I have lost the instruction sheet (Blue Book). James, Lubber, can any of you guys snap photos or scan pages of the book so I can see if I am on track with this build? Greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Lobo, NY 

• 1 month later...
On 6/29/2019 at 2:06 AM, lobo said:

Hello All, 

First time poster here. I have built a few wood ship kits, (I was  a student of Frank Mastini back in the late 1970's). I picked up my Princess Royal Ship in a bottle kit many years ago at DisneyWorld! Build is going OK, I will post pics to point where I am at..but I need a hand if anyone can help. I have lost the instruction sheet (Blue Book). James, Lubber, can any of you guys snap photos or scan pages of the book so I can see if I am on track with this build? Greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Lobo, NY 

Sorry, but I have only just started up again after quite a long break and only just noticed your request. I can scan the book for you if you still need it? 

• 8 months later...

With the current  virus shutdown, while going through a lot of “old stuff,” I came across this ship in a bottle kit:

Princess Royal 1841, Buddelschiff Bateau en Bouteille, from Authentic Models Holland.  All appears to be in tact but it seems to be missing the cardboard template sheet? I am wondering if anyone could send a copy or perhaps a PDF file that I could print?

Thank you!   Stay well!

Tim

i have the little instruction booklet. For “step 2” it mentions copying details of jig “printed on cardboard sheet inclosed in kit.”     Step 5 also mentions “cutting parts 7 from cardboard.”   That cardboard is what I seem to be missing.  Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys

I was given this kit a few years ago, but ever got a chance to build it. So I am now too looking to build it now that i am at home due to the virus. The only problem is upon taking it out of the box, i realised one of my kids must have misplaced the instructions (i have 2 paper pages that seem to be instructions in German and some other language, but no English). If someone could email me them at fender_2190@hotmail{dot}com i'd be really appreciative.

Thanks

• 4 months later...

Hello,

New member here.

Just picked up the Princess Royal 1841 ship in a bottle kit at my local hobby shop for 10 bucks {kit was on consignment}. Kit is complete, however: some of the pages in the instruction booklet stuck together obliterating some of the steps. Can anyone email a PDF file of the instructions? I really want to try my hand at building this kit. Any help would be most appreciated and a big thanks! 

Edited by jskourn
add email info.

On 9/6/2020 at 3:34 PM, jskourn said:

Hello,

New member here.

Just picked up the Princess Royal 1841 ship in a bottle kit at my local hobby shop for 10 bucks {kit was on consignment}. Kit is complete, however: some of the pages in the instruction booklet stuck together obliterating some of the steps. Can anyone email a PDF file of the instructions? I really want to try my hand at building this kit. Any help would be most appreciated and a big thanks! My email: jskourn@yahoo.com

• 4 months later...

I’ve CADded the original cardboard sheet and reprinted the parts in 180g paper (allegedly the thickest stock the laser printer woul pull). I sprayed the bottom hull with tamiya hill red and the insides of the side panels dark grey. The side panels were then cut o size, the front groove cut to match the contour of the forward pole and glued to the hull using pva glue- micro crystal clear.

6F59FF78-E883-4A32-8C4E-88E6026E3064.jpeg

85FDFE40-A397-4AC9-B73A-0980B82DE690.jpeg

AE93F2F3-C3CE-4ECA-AEA7-DCF4A93D81E2.jpeg

9984C0FB-F090-437A-A1C6-548A7D02D89A.jpeg

F27025F8-1034-41B9-8A17-F726555CFD00.jpeg

065C7CBA-346F-455B-81C2-057CF2467BBA.jpeg

AB741731-816C-4967-8173-90E5E8DECBE8.jpeg

3B9BA854-93EB-4B9E-8371-58CCEC1EB4B2.jpeg

9CE22CED-7D5A-45FF-BDDA-8EF755CA6AC4.jpeg