Jump to content
Bottled Ship Builder


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


exwafoo last won the day on November 12 2020

exwafoo had the most liked content!


About exwafoo

  • Rank
    Chief Officer

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Not Telling

Recent Profile Visitors

3,039 profile views
  1. I wouldn't want to meet them on a dark night tho'. 😁
  2. Hi Donald, Thanks for the complement on the Colvic Watson. This is the link to the build log. https://www.bottledshipbuilder.com/topic/683-colvic-watson-28/?tab=comments#comment-6310 Stay safe Alan
  3. Have you thought of printing your own waterslide decals for the numbers. I've used this a couple of times for ship's names. A pack of A4 sheets is only about £5 in the UK. I get the right size by printing out different fonts and sizes on paper plus any other suitable detailing, cutting out and trying for size. When correct I print the decals, a couple of copies in case of mistakes. I still have about 4.5 sheets so its going to last. The windows and name on the Colvic Watson 28 SIB in the phot were made this way Alan
  4. If you want to start in scratch building smaller models, may I suggest you have a look at some of the e-books by Robert Wilson FRSA at this link. Robert A Wilson - Payhip 'Scratch building Merchant Sailing Ships - A Dying Art' is a good one (£2.49) Likewise '900-ton Barque Part I - Building the hull' and '900-Ton Part II ' . ( £ 1.49 each) Lots of others well priced as well. He also has a couple of freebies such as how to build a display case.
  5. Langton Miniatures do a very good range of 1/1200 ships, mainly from the Nelson's Navy period. These are white metal castings, with a choice of sail sets in either white metal or brass and with photo etched shrouds and extras. There are some 1/300 ones as well, but these are pricy. http://www.rodlangton.com/ Their book on assembly, painting and rigging is pretty good. You would have to rethink assembling masts, sails and rigging to bottle them though. Their are some utube videos on these if you search.
  6. exwafoo


    Hi Paul, If you are looking for small models, have a look at these. There are some builds of these on utube as well. http://www.rodlangton.com/index.html Alan
  7. I've seen some of the modelers who scratch build from styrene use right angled metal blocks and magnets to hold the styrene sheet in place while the glue sets. It would probably work with card as well. Similarly, when I used to build balsa wood planes and boats years ago, pins hammered into the building board were used to keep things aligned until the glue set. Merry Christmas to all and wishing you a better New Year than the one we've had. Alan
  8. Hi Donald, Looks like a good build. Something to remember when planning a tight build, allow room for assembly and tools in the bottle. It has caused me some issues in the past. A narrow flat bottle did not allow tools past the sails to get glue to the stern, and on another SIB with masts that were inserted into holes in the deck lack of height between deck and bottle caused me to have to dig the sea out and replace with a very thin sea to allow enough room to step the mast. Best Alan
  9. In the UK a reamer is a precision engineering tool similar to a drill bit, but which leaves a very smooth finish and is used to take a hole drilled or bored in metal which is deliberately just undersize up to the final dimension. Come in a range of sizes from small to very large, and I believe can be tapered. I've only ever used one during my apprenticeship during the 'how to drill holes' phase. One of these would definitely violate the above treaty. Stay safe all. Cheers Alan
  10. exwafoo


    Hi. Donald, Nice work. Its looking very good. Going back to your comment on photography, unfortunately, macro photography will show up everything. If you think about it, a few thou out at our scales is a reasonably large proportion of the 'bit', while if it was at, say, 100 to 1 like some of the large kits are, it would never be noticed. Nice to see you got the Union Flag historically correct and named correctly as well. Looking forward to seeing it in the bottle. Alan
  11. Hi John. A couple of years ago, one of the members of the European Association of Ships in Bottles (EASIB) had an article published in Bottleship, EASIB's 1/4ly magazine on making SIB hulls from card and paper. This was to introduce young children to the art safely by only having to use scissors and not sharp blades. The technique was to make a card laminate hull, the 'layers' being cut to shape using reducing sizes of deck outline or hull lines and using PVA glue to stick and harden. This block when dry could be sanded to final shape and drilled as required for masts, etc. Photographic
  12. exwafoo


    Hi. Donald, Nice work. Its looking good. Unfortunately, macro photography will show up everything. Looking forward to seeing it in the bottle. Alan
  13. exwafoo


    Donald, First beer on me. Alan
  14. Thanks Dan. Tax is a pain, especially as governments just seem to squander it. Along with all Brits, I hate Her Majesty's Customs and Revenue, also known as HM's Thieving Bandits, or a word like that. UK personal tax allowance did not get raised this year, so the tax man basically relieved me of most of the rise in my pension. Can't even say 'At least Dick Turpin (an infamous highway man) had the decency to wear a mask' because we're all wearing them now. Stay safe Alan
  • Create New...