Bottled Ship Builder
Sign in to follow this  
James w rogers

The princess royal 1841

Just found this on a carboot sale, £3.00! 

Box sealed with very old dried out sticky tape, so I thought I won’t damage the box and try to open it, I will wait until I get home and gently cut the tape and open it. So I set off home, excited to see what looks like a great find from 1988, once home I carefully open the box to find everything but.....?..

109EE53A-F0B0-4783-986E-83513E0C89BD.jpeg

2857393D-1264-41C8-B27D-8A0A8B30089F.jpeg

7FA2FBB2-4F0C-4BC6-9CAA-13056DA5F72D.jpeg

Hi James, I just bought one of these kits also but not at the bargain you got. The putty will be hardened and useless by now but no big deal since putty availability is not a problem. My bottle was made in France and doesn't have the imprint on it. But these Authentic Model kits are just about the best I've seen at the price ( the Amati models look superb but are almost $100 USD). I also have an AM "Privateer" that I think is a better kit but not modeled on an historic model. The Privateer kit has a nice hardwood hull that I had trouble getting an electric drill to hole. It also comes in a neat little wood box.  I couldn't resist starting to build the model but had to shelve it for a while so it's still in "dry dock". The instruction sheet is excellent. I've collected about six different kits now and these are my favorite. I'm sure you will enjoy this build.

Hi lubber, thanks for the information, your right about the putty it's rock hard! It's also missing the Hull of the ship, but it has a very good scale plan for it so I can easily make another, also the writing on the bottle is massive so might change it. 😀 

That's too bad! My hull isn't anything too special and I'm sure you can make one from the plans. I like the hull I got in the AM Privateer though, it's top notch. 

The bottle I got with my AM Princess Royal is actually very nice, it was made in Germany, not France, the AM Privateer bottle I have was made in France.

So for £3 you got ship plans, a nice set of instructions, a suit of sails, a nice bottle stand and some bamboo skewers. Mine cost six times that but I got a complete package. I really can't justify the cost of these kits but having a ship plan and a bottle to fit the plan is essential.

Hello All, 

First time poster here. I have built a few wood ship kits, (I was  a student of Frank Mastini back in the late 1970's). I picked up my Princess Royal Ship in a bottle kit many years ago at DisneyWorld! Build is going OK, I will post pics to point where I am at..but I need a hand if anyone can help. I have lost the instruction sheet (Blue Book). James, Lubber, can any of you guys snap photos or scan pages of the book so I can see if I am on track with this build? Greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Lobo, NY