Bottled Ship Builder

Newly addicted

Donald

Hi folks, I was bitten by the bug recently when I bought the book "Sailing in Glass", on ebay. My first attempt is rudimentary as I couldn't wait for materials online to come before getting busy.I had to use a huge drill bit and the bowsprit looks like a telephone pole whereas a fence pole would be more proportionally accurate. Plenty of rookie mistakes, I had to clip the top of the mast as it was too tall, or I put too much "sea" in it. Plenty of smears inside the bottle to clean etc. It was a good learning project.20180224_211358.thumb.jpg.20e332e6c4780c6ea1ec8cbfc2ed4669.jpgMy second attempt I have almost completed. This schooner also presented plenty of rookie problems. The mast hinge came up out of hole once in the bottle already. I was able to slide a sliver of wood with glue on it under the mast and prop it up but it was a pain. I also tried to simulate rough seas with only limited success. 20180314_210730.thumb.jpg.4df5406219edbda1add4810a16d88c09.jpgAt any rate, I'm glad to find your site as I desperately need advice. Thanks for adding me in! Spanky

Welcome.  You have a couple great first ships.  Sure some rookie stuff but honestly mine didnt look that good until I built four or five.  Your doing great. 

Ask anything, the more questions the better.  If you want especially personalized help start a build log and post photos as you go.  Then we can chime in and help with questions on the next steps.  

Greetings Spanky,

To be totally honest, my first 3 ship in bottle models went straight into the trash bin, so your's aren't at all bad for first models! Once you have decent materials and a little experience, absolutely the best teacher IMHO, you'll really be hooked.

Anchor's A Weigh!

John Fox III

My first one, started in about 2002, is still is not in the bottle. Its been in, shipwrecked, out again, repaired, modified, dropped, masts broken, more repairs and modifications, still undergoing a refit, but will be in the bottle soon because there isn't much wood left under the paint. All a learning curve as you develop your own techniques.

Welcome

Alan

Thanks everybody, I swear it's like reading a good book. Couldn't put them down until I was done. Of course not getting anything productive done at home but... I see in some of your pics a mat that has measurements on it etc. Wondering what are some of the better online model making supply stores? I also wonder if you have a good source for old bottles and what might be the dimensions most prefer? I think I need to slow my race a bit, absorb some of your pics and posts, get the proper materials and get busy, ...slowly. Thank you again folks! Spanky

20180310_094120.jpg

You can get most things at stores like hobby lobby and Michaels.  Hobby town will have the green mats.  They are nice but not really needed its more a preference.  I used a tv table in a closet for a while and did just fine. 

As far as materials.  Bass wood is a good place to start.  I also like bamboo for masts, yards and bowsprits.  Just get skewers from the grocery store.  I like fly tying thread for rigging.  It doesn't stetch so the mast rake stays where you want it.  I use paper for sails.  Nothing special printer paper works fine.  As far as bottles do two things, look every where, thrift stores, antique shops, grocery stores, hobby stores.  Just keep an eye out.  Second tell people you build ships in bottles.  You don't even have to tell them your looking for bottles.  Just say you build and theyll send tons of bottles your way.  It's a funny phenomenon but it works out.  :) 

Thanks for the info., much appreciated. Wondering if you would mind me using your Bermuda Sloop plans,  build log, instructions etc. as my next project. Really nice build I think I can gain quite a bit of knowledge from, but I want to be sure this is acceptable. Spanky

So I started on the sloop but was not happy with my results. I shaped her wrong initially so she is pointed at the bow, and waaay to small at the stern. I did however have a light bulb go off in terms of construction. Rather than do another sloop before the Chiefs log is finished, I started a Galleon, pirate ship type that I am going to start a log on shortly here.

20180323_163801.jpg

• 4 weeks later...