Bottled Ship Builder

La nina, caravel.

James w rogers

Bit smaller this time, made a start on Christopher Columbus La Niña, one of the three Spanish ships used by the Italian explorer in his first voyage to the West Indies in 1492. As was tradition for Spanish ships of the day, she bore a female saint's name, Santa Clara. 

DSC_0338.JPG

DSC_0339.JPG

_20181111_214626.JPG

Been having a bit of trouble with small parts being so fiddly, so to make the bulwarks and rails I smeared some pritt stick glue, which is a child friendly water based product, onto some shiny card, then placed all the bulwarks onto it. This enabled me to be able to glue the rails onto them a lot easier. Wait until parts have dried then peel off of the card, voila! Just need a final trim before gluing to the Hull. 😁

_20181122_200318.JPG

DSC_0363.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Lateen sails made, to say it was a bit fiddly would be an understatement. 

I ended up putting two flats on the yards to enable me to glue them together and stop them rolling apart, then put some cotton binding round with a little dab of superglue, then tacked the sails in place with glue and sewed them on. 

_20181214_064915.JPG

DSC_0429.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bottle painted and acrylic decorators caulking pumped in with a skeleton gun.

i put a length of stiff clear plastic tube on end of the nozzle which allows me to direct the flow straight onto the bottom of the bottle, then whilst still wet I push it down with a slightly wet metal spatula and smear it around a bit to get desired effect. Once it has skinned over I will paint another coat of acrylic paint over the surface to replicate the surface of the sea before setting the hull into it while it is still soft. That’s the plan for now anyway!🤔

B10AF7D2-2A7F-4064-81EF-C3A30E82A06C.jpeg

29DDD3A5-3C40-471F-B67E-5E229BCAEEF5.jpeg

52E33E99-CC8E-4DD2-8813-A28EA0AD6CEF.jpeg