Bottled Ship Builder

Hello Everyone!

Hanseat

Hello Everyone,

I would like to intoduce myself with a few words. I was born in Bremen, Germany,  the home of the worldwide known “Town musicians of Bremen“. It is located right next to Hamburg and after this the second biggest city in the north-western part of Germany. Bremen is located at the river Weser and also close to the North Sea.

Besinde this, I grew up in the small village called Achim and as a child loved to paint old houses and castles, and of course tall ships. At the age of ten years I have received a gift of a model kit for a ship in a bottle, the CUTTY SARK.

After receiving the university-entrance diploma, I have studied art, German language, history, as well as architecture. When I got married in 2013 on board the SCHULSCHIFF DEUTSCHLAND, the last and only remaining full-rigged ship under German flag, I took this opportunity to pick up again my old hobby that I have not practiced for more than thirtythree years.

I now live in Bad Kissingen, in the Northern part of Bavaria. To describe my work I would say: It fits into the tradition of folk art (You can also find the most of my works on https://www.folkartinbottles.com/artists/artists-s-z/274-matthias-schultz) , because I emphasize the handmade character, refusing to use prepared material or 3D-printed pieces. On the other side I trie to avoid too much simplicity and folklore by adding persons or too much colorful decoration. The range of my ships reachs from a Puntship of the old Egypt times up to a modern Sea rescue cruizer. But in fact, I now prefer the ships oft he 16th up to 18th century, building them without the sea to show the whole hull with it’s streamlined forms.

A nice  tv feature about me you can find here:

https://www.tvmainfranken.de/mediathek/video/wie-kommt-das-schiff-in-die-flasche-buddelschiffbauer-matthias-schultz/?fbclid=IwAR3rLKi0n0ZWqmajdsqm_lDz34ePPTRMC21OXKHzvpnnafcUHd0BMjPsvM0

All the Best,  Matthias

Wappen von Bremen mit mir.jpg

On 13.6.2021 at 22:20, John Fox III said:

Grüße Mathias,

Willkommen an Bord! Auch ich baue meine Schiffe ohne Meer oder andere Ablenkungen aus den gleichen Gründen wie du. Es ist oft die gesamte Rumpfform, die ein Schiff/Boot am meisten definiert.

Anker ist ein Gewicht!

John Fox III

Ja, ich liebe in der Tat besonders die fließenden, stromlinienförmigen Formen eines Schiffes. Selbst die, welche 'oben rum' rechtschaffen hässlich sind (wie die meisten modernen Verkehrsgüterschiffe... ) verfügen darüber im Unterwasserbereich.