Bottled Ship Builder

Mast Making

exwafoo

Hi All,

Hope you are all keeping safe. 

There has been a bit of talk about mast drilling and jigs, etc over the past few months. I thought I'd kill a couple of hours in lockdown putting together a screed on how I do it and the jigs I've made to help me.

Hope its of interest.

best

Alan

Mast drilling jigs..pdf

• 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am glad I searched out this website. Now having limited mobility and needing something to do with my one functioning brain cell working with my hands has always been pleasurable to me. While I don't see many current posts I will expose this site to some younger artists who may enjoy it. Too many avoid this entertaining build because of its complex and perceived difficulty. even having my dexterity continue to have more and more difficulty I still find it a challenge and keeps my mind active.

Today I offer materials I found to be useful for masts. they are the chopsticks we get when we order Chinese food. they are hard to break and are easily formed even when trimmed down to a point. for smaller needs I use the bamboo skewers that are available in the supermarket. The only problem encountered is drilling. they will split easily and long shreds can come off if the drill isn't sharp enough.

I solved this problem by using a needle of the size hole I need and heat it red hot and burn a hole. This method works very well for small holes on small pieces that would split with a drill. ( hint-- put instant glue on parts and drill before drilling ) the extra wood allows you to secure small pieces so the hole is correctly located.  

I have many patterns located over the years. I may have collected many patterns and willing to share  if you are looking for something I will share if I have it. I also have other patterns than ships ( cartoon characters, cars, trucks trains, castle's. creatures. dragons, ROBOTS, star wars, startrek, potter people ) These are all made from paper.

I do enjoy a good conversation as well. Please understand that I am now 80 and find that it harder to hold a train of thought. If I wander off subject or my conversation doesn't make sense please understand and forgive my increasing dementia. I will try to answer my post as early as I can because my ability to focus drops off as the day progresses. Thanks to all for reading and understanding.-----------I, Grampa