Jump to content

Pirate Ship Scavenger


DSiemens
 Share

Recommended Posts

The pirate rein-actors have requested another ship.  This time for a crew called the Scavenger which is the name of this ship.  I got lucky with my first commission from the pirates because they had a full set of plans.  This time I had to piece together a few things based on the request.  I think the customization will make this build fun though.  

 

The plans I chose were from a 1712 ship called the greyhound.  It didn't have sail plans though so I put some on.  The masts are a bit thick on the plans which I'll have to adjust on the ship.  As usual my plans come from the Story of Sail.  

 

post-9-0-36545400-1440133788_thumb.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

I've been doing some experimenting with planking before I do the same on the scavenger.  Here's a couple pirate ships I'm using wood planking on.  

 

post-307-0-67855400-1445827698_thumb.jpg

 

_MG_07902.jpg

 

I'll post more as the planking for the first one continues.  I'm liking the results but I'm thinking a lighter stain would be better for the Scavenger.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I finished up with some experiments and decided it was time to put in some of the deck planking.  Below is the finished sloop using the cards of wood planks and also the deck on the Scavenger.  

 

post-9-0-56956500-1447047841_thumb.jpg

 

post-9-0-25742300-1447047924_thumb.jpg

 

The upper deck sections were failed experiments and will be covered over later.  

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

I came up with a new method for cannons. I wanted to add more detail so I got a bamboo skewers and put it through a draw plate to get a really small diameter. I used the skewer for the wheels then used a block of wood for the carriage and wire for the cannon. All of the was attached the the wheels. I then cut them off as needed.

post-9-0-11007000-1449371645_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-97453900-1449371697_thumb.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have the upper deck in place including an actual hatch.  Most of the time I print these and glue them in place but since the deck actually had a deck underneath I thought it would be fun to do an actual hatch.  You can actually see the light shining thorough it in the second photo.  It was tedious and probably could have turned out better but not bad for a first attempt.  

 

post-307-0-29742500-1450068083_thumb.jpg

 

post-307-0-02207100-1450068104_thumb.jpg

 

post-307-0-78247900-1450068120_thumb.jpg

 

I would like to see every ones ideas as far as hatches go.  So far printing has worked best for me but there's something to be said for doing it with actual raw materials or even hand painting.  What other methods have been used?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Made some progress on this one.  added cap rails on the stern.  added another hatch a capstan and some stairs.  I'm still not sure about the stairs.  I might redo them.  I've seen some good ideas for making stairs but these are supposed to be spiral stairs.  Not sure what I got myself into with this one.  

 

post-307-0-75843500-1452663955_thumb.jpg

 

post-307-0-50350400-1452663967_thumb.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A lot has happened with this ship. I did a rest fit and found that the ship didn't fit the bottle. I mismeared and built ito to high. So I ended up building a second one. I found a bottle for the first one but it doesn't have the clarity I wanted for the person. I'm building it for. Doing it again has helped clear up a lot of mistakes I had in the first one.

post-9-0-38092300-1456642345_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-05347700-1456679206_thumb.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks every one.  Jesse I've been meaning to get pictures but haven't gotten to it yet.  It's real simple though.  I just glue the line to the bulwarks, then behind the cannon and to the hull on the other side.  No blocks or anything.  At this scale that would be to much.  The only issue I've had is trying to get the line to sag downward.  Some of them pop upwards.  Still working on figuring that out.  Wire might be a good substitute for string here.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Daniel,  I believe that wire would conform nicely to the intended "sag".  I think this is one of the reasons Bob aka "Shipbuilder" uses wire so successfully in his builds.  Another benefit of wire would be the ability use a very fine scale like diameter.   That might be hard to replicate using rope, string, or other fibers.

 

Gwyl

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...