Bottled Ship Builder

Ahoy and Greetings from a Newbie

Bosun Moon

I just found your site yesterday while searching for ships in a bottle kits. I've been in the US Merchant Marines for close to fifty years and currently sailing on cable ships. I'm hoping to find some help locating ships in a bottle kits. I've build a few little ones from off the shelf of a hobby shop but I'm really looking for something with more detail and larger in size of about a foot or more in length. I haven't had much luck in my search so I was wondering if anyone could help point me in the right direction. Thank you.

Bosun Moon

Welcome Bosun Moon. A ship of a foot in length or more would have to be scratch built; that's if you could find a bottle of that size to place it in. In any event,scratch built is the way to go,you can make any ship you want to,learn the ropes as you progress and the satisfaction that it is all your own work .

1 hour ago, JesseLee said:

Welcome Bosun Moon. I never thought about an SIB that large but it does sound like something I would like to do. Not sure if there are any bottles made that size or not.

A carboy or boccioni bottle maybe but they both have pretty small bottle necks in proportion to the chamber size. The ship would have to be in a lot of pieces. It would look awesome though. 

On 11/14/2020 at 3:54 PM, Bosun Moon said:

I just found your site yesterday while searching for ships in a bottle kits. I've been in the US Merchant Marines for close to fifty years and currently sailing on cable ships. I'm hoping to find some help locating ships in a bottle kits. I've build a few little ones from off the shelf of a hobby shop but I'm really looking for something with more detail and larger in size of about a foot or more in length. I haven't had much luck in my search so I was wondering if anyone could help point me in the right direction. Thank you.

Bosun Moon

Thank you all very much for your insight. I guess I was overreaching on the idea of a store bought larger vessel. I don't know that I have the talent to try building free hand. I was hoping to take a kit out to seas with me to occupy my off watch hours. Thank you again. I'm enjoying the site quite a bit.

Regards

I bet you could do it.  I did one particular build for this situation and maybe it can help.  

Have a look and see if this will work.  The idea I had in mind was making a beginners ship in bottle that didn't look kiddish but wasn't overly difficult.  I've seen quiet a few beginners on this site build this ship and they all did pretty well.  

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome Bosun Moon.  The post above from Daniel (Bermuda Sloop) helped kick start me into scratch building, it's well done and worth a go for sure. While I have not seen any as large as you are looking for, there are usually several Ship in Bottle kits on for sale on ebay. 

Edited by Donald