Bottled Ship Builder

Catalina 30 by Gwyl Blaser

Gwyl Blaser

Ok, after encouragement from Daniel I have decided that I will be building a Catalina 30 TR with a bow sprit in this log. The reason for the C30 is, it is my 1:1 sailboat.  I have wanted to do a build of her for a long time but things always seem to get in the way.

This weekend, I spent a fair amount of time trying to get a profile of the boat as a tall rig with the bow sprit.  I have had absolutely no luck in finding one.  So my next best option is to use a profile from Catalina for the regular boat, and do some adjusting for the extra length that the bow sprit adds.

This first image is of the regular C30, and the second is a real C30 with the bow sprit.  

I am contemplating which bottle to use for this.  Not 100% sure tonight.  That might change tomorrow! 

post-1-0-79343800-1430023470_thumb.jpg  post-1-0-23189700-1430023481_thumb.jpg

Greetings Gwyl,

Long ago I built a Catalina 30 model, and purchased what the maker calls a full plan set. Unfortunately, guess the exact hull shape is some sort of secret, as all I got was a very detailed plan and profile view. I CADified that, and saved it as two .jpg files. If you'd like, I could send them to you, if you think they'd be of any help.

Good luck!! I have some drawings of the Rebel 16 such as I own, but haven't quite gotten to making of a model of "Lovey Too!". Charles Hand made a small ship in bottle of Lovey Too! for my wife and I years ago, which we proudly display. He even has the two of us onboard!

Anchor's A Weigh!

John Fox III

Ladysmith, WI

Hi John,

I would love a copy of the CAD's that you have for the Cat30.  My email is in my profile.  Thank you.

I have communicated extensively with a sailor who worked at the Catalina factory for the better part of 30 years, and I found out that the hulls were pretty constant year after year, but the interior, engines, and even some rigging, would change, even from one hull to the next.  Most of these changes went undocumented, and were done kind of on the fly.  

I am excited to finally start a build of my Catalina 30 in a bottle.

Gwyl

Greetings Gwyl,

Could not find your email address in your profile, so I will risk getting sued by Catalina I guess! <G>

post-26-0-36845400-1430129248_thumb.jpg

post-26-0-98477600-1430129267_thumb.jpg

That is all I have. The original plans were drafted from plans purchased from Catalina, with absolutely no body plan drawing, showing the actual hull shape at the stations. This was before 2000, I was still using AutoSketch then, and had to use a special translater program to convert those files into AutoCAD capable files, that plus having had to print and scan the drawings caused some diffusion.

Hope they help!

Anchor's A Weigh!

John Fox III

Ladysmith, WI

Great drawings John.  It should make an attractive model.

Frequently boat manufacturers publish outlines similar to these as promotional materials.  Requests from model makers are usually ignored, especially for lines.  Years ago a customer had to pay a one time use fee to Sparkman and Stephens for the lines of the sloop Charisma for me to build one (1) model of her.  As for suing, well, blood from stone.

Alex

I noticed that the transom is a bit different in each of the three images (drawings, painting and photo) of a Catalina 30. If one had bow and stern views it should be a fairly easy bit of drafting to extrapolate the hull shape at each station and the curve of a plan view line at some point between waterline and deck line, at least close enough that only an expert in the hull shape would notice. Deriving lines below the waterline would probably be a bit more difficult but obviously wouldn't be needed for a waterline model.

I can't get over how tubby the Cat 30 hull (with a length to beam ration of about 3:1) looks compared to a sleek little daysailer/racer but that's only to be expected.

John,

Thank you.  These drawings are exactly what I have been looking for. As far as the hull shape, I will be taking a few photographs this weekend prior to launching.  I should be able to come pretty darn close to the correct shape.

I can't get over how tubby the Cat 30 hull (with a length to beam ration of about 3:1) looks compared to a sleek little daysailer/racer but that's only to be expected.

Dave,  yes these have that tubby look to them, but they are surprisingly fast in the water.

Gwyl 

Ok,  it is time to start this build.  I have finally chosen the bottle for the Cat 30.  It was a toss up between a bottle and a light bulb.  The bulb won out.

post-1-0-33825600-1430796329_thumb.jpg
post-1-0-41917100-1430796337_thumb.jpg

I will need to cut the neck of the bottle.  I will use the technique that John Fox III mentioned in this post.  John's techneque

I will post pictures of the process and progress.

Gwyl

Hi Jeff.  I'n not 100% sure yet on the scale.  I would like to get the neck off, and the see if I can use some of the techniques mentioned on this site, to get a good measurement of the inside of the bottle.   Then I should know what room I have to work with.  I plan on building a full hull, with sails flying.

Gwyl

Greetings Gwyl,

Here are some photos of my measuring tool. Very versatile, fairly easy to build. Photos pretty much show it all, but can answer any questions if you have them.

post-26-0-63570000-1431456443_thumb.jpg

post-26-0-30861200-1431456460_thumb.jpg

post-26-0-35270400-1431456474_thumb.jpg

Made from nested square brass tubing. Sliding outer tube tight to cross tube causes it to fix 90 degree angle to outer tube. Slight indentation near ends of sliding tubes on measuring part holds those tubes in place, but can be moved in or out as needed. If the measurement is small, remove one or more smaller tubes on measuring part end. There is a limit as to how small an opening it can be passed through, but for larger bottles/bulbs it works great. Use tool to measure inside container, usually in various places if the bottle/bulb is not an even thickness. The remove tool and take accurate measurement from tool end.

Anchor's A Weigh!

John Fox III

Ladysmith, WI