Bottled Ship Builder

Something I tried many moons ago

Hi all,

While serving in the military, I did once try and put a a ship in a bottle, this was a plastic 'man of war' in a glass bottle , I've still got it but it's not the same as putting something made from wood , paper and thread with my own hands into a bottle . I've never made anything from wood bar a fruit bowl I made at school many years ago but, with all the encouragement I've got from all of you maybe this will be something I can be proud of  and say with pride " I made that" . I want to learn as much as I can from all of you . Maybe one day I'll put a Stalwart in a bottle , how?  I've got no idea but how hard can it be ? 

IMG_20190325_220013_hdr.jpg

Hi Niallmhor, If you did this, you have the basic idea. I've always enjoyed the carving and shaping of the hull as the fun part. Shaping the spars is a bit tedious. The rigging is intricate but rewarding. Inserting the model and righting it on the putty sea can expose faults in construction, especially if the neck is a narrow diameter. But remember, the model can always be pulled back out if things aren't right (I've had to do this a few times). Even if you glue the stays down and discover that something isn't right, you can cut the rigging and extract the model and re-rig it and try again. Since you created the model, you can always fix it. The putty sea doesn't dry out or harden very quickly so extraction is always an option. You don't have to accept defects and don't be afraid to scrap work and re-work it.

That actually looks really good.  There's no rules on medium. Use what ever you like.  Paper is totally allowed.  

Wood is a lot of fun too.  I think it's more forgiving than paper.  My philosophy with wood has always been cut big then sand smaller.  You can't sand paper down really.  It shreds and folds.  If you can build a paper ship in bottle I think you are very capable of building a wood one. 

I've recently purchased a selection of kits just to see what they are about. One is a paper everything with a glass bottle and cork. This is a travesty that should never be allowed to be perpetrated. Even the decorative seal, which should be cord, is paper. What a waste of a piece of glass. The next is a very nice kit by Airfix with a nice large rectangular bottle that was made in France but has a plastic ship model...Egads! My other two at least have wooden parts and one has an instruction manual that even a experienced builder could learn some tricks from.

Ok, there are no rules. But I'd like to maintain the connection to the original modelers who only had limited materials and tools but had a lot of imagination and time on their hands.