Bottled Ship Builder

Pirate ship in Hot Sauce bottle

JesseLee

Do I see a Syren in the background? Very good work so far on her.

The hull of the pirate ship is well done with good work on the details. You've done well keeping all that work to scale.

The mast hinges turned out nicely, but I'm sure you'll agree that the masts and spars are out of scale in diameter. One way to fool the eye into seeing them thinner is to taper them to a tip that is half the diameter of the thickest part. 

post-30-0-09096000-1440695659_thumb.jpg

At left is a one piece mast very similar to those on your model. To its right is a similar mast with the same base

diameter but it tapers to a tip that is half the base diameter. The yard at upper right is again similar to those on

the model. Below it is a yard the same diameter in the center but it tapers to a tip that is half the diameter of the

center. Notice that the tapered spars look much thinner even though the greater diameter remains the same.

With practice you can get the spars much thinner and more to scale. The limitation is the diameter of the holes drilled in them. In mid spar I rarely drill a hole larger than 1/3 the spar diameter and at the tips 1/2 the diameter. I usually rough out the spar, drill the holes then finish sand to size making sure the holes stay on center.

Yes, that is a Syren in the background. I have a build log for her going over on Model Ship World.

I know the masts are out of scale. This is only the 2nd SIB I've ever done. (there is a 3rd one that was never completed) The 1st one was way back when I was 19 & it was awful. Been thinking about tearing it out & re-doing it sometime.

I have a lot to learn. I have made small ships at this scale before but not any that had to fold to go in a bottle. I always broke the mast if I made them thinner & drilled holes. They always break at the hole. Decided to proceed with what I have for this build while I learn to do better for later ones. The wood I'm using wants to slit & splinter a lot too so I need to find something better.

Keep that first one the way it is. I wish I had kept my first, even with all of its flaws, just to see how far I've come.

You're about where I guesstimated, experience-wise, and I put out that tip for future use by you and others who are still working on basics. Tapering the spars is one of the easiest ways to improve the scale look without a lot of extra effort. I certainly wasn't suggesting that you re-do the work you've done - that's entirely up to you - the information was for future reference. You've already shown you're not intimidated by tiny fiddly bits, like in the cannons, so I figured you were ready to make use of this tip.

What wood are you using for spars? Toothpicks or other similar found wood? Many builders like bamboo skewers from the grocer but I find it difficult to drill holes precisely where I start them because of bamboo's structure. I've been using basswood, available from most hobby shops, for most of my spars and bamboo for some masts when I don't have to drill holes in them except at the hinge. I'm looking for something better, perhaps pear, holly or boxwood.

Dave

Yes, toothpicks & mini wood dowels a little smaller than toothpicks. They split so bad. I am disabled from chronic lyme disease & I am on a very limited income so I have to use whatever I am able to get which is scraps a lot of times. I have built a lot of ships just not SIB's. I am having to scale down now because I don't have room for more large builds like the Syren I'm building now. Figured bottles were the way to go! :D

You could make good use out of a few bucks in bamboo skewers. Dave's right drilling then can be difficult. I've been ring mine on with a larks head knot. Put the knot around the spar than tie the ends around the mast and add a dab of glue. Your of to a great start. You'll pick this side of the hobby up real fast.

Hi,

I've been following this with interest.

I use the following guide to help drill masts and spars. I also drill them before thinning them down to size, It just means a bit more care when sanding, but the hole stays central. A bit of CA glue hardens up the hole after shaping. The one I made is from a bit of brass angle. File a flat as shown on top of the V and then drill through with the drill size required. Try to keep square so the hole is aligned with the inside of the V. Drill out one of the holes slightly from the inside using an oversize drill to form a slight dome. The 'straight' hole is used to guide the drill bit when drilling through the mast/spar, and the 'domed' hole when drilling into the end. Hope this helps.

Alan

post-68-0-48920100-1440838352_thumb.jpg

This is what I use to take masts and yards to size after drilling.

The Mast or Spar is placed in the ‘V’, the pressure piece is located and, using very gentle pressure (any more than this and you will not move it) move the Mast or Spar in and out, rotating at the same time as shown. Change ends regularly, and taper can be avoided. Blow the dust out frequently. If you see smoke, tell Ray Mears. Check the diameter regularly, especially as it thins, it thins quicker the thinner it is, if you see what I mean.

post-68-0-06766200-1440871996_thumb.jpg

Alan

Thanks for the input everyone!

Brushed out bottle to make sure it is all clean. Painted the whitecaps on the waves. Pressed a strip of wood in the putty because I wasn't sure how well the glue would hold the ship own to the putty when pulled on to raise everything up. Cut out the sails. Stained them with coffie. Did a few baking soda washes to neutralize the acids.

post-99-0-74660500-1440881537_thumb.jpg

post-99-0-79080400-1440881555_thumb.jpg

post-99-0-62278900-1440881572_thumb.jpg

Will be finishing up soon. Having a health setback right now. For those of you who don't know I suffer from chronic lyme disease. I go through spells where it is real bad & spells where it eases up a bit but I never feel very good. Last night was real bad with pain, shakes, sweats, etc. much like malaria. Hope to be back building soon.

Will be finishing up soon. Having a health setback right now. For those of you who don't know I suffer from chronic lyme disease. I go through spells where it is real bad & spells where it eases up a bit but I never feel very good. Last night was real bad with pain, shakes, sweats, etc. much like malaria. Hope to be back building soon.

Jesse,  Hang in there.  We hope you get feeling better soon.  

Gwyl

• 2 years later...