Bottled Ship Builder

Greetings All

John Fox III

John Fox III here! Some of you probably "know" me, but for those who do not: been building sib's since 1985, have had a number of articles printed in the old Model Ship Builder Magazine, taken over I believe now by Ships In Scale Magazine, the Bottleshipwright and most recently in the Nautical Research Journal.

I build only sailing vessels, ships or boats. I am a professional, though i do build to sell, I build more out of a drive to bring a little more respect to our particular genre of model ship building. I am known for extreme detailing, and scale and historic accuracy, and pushing the limit of what can be done. I can't even begin to imagine how many sib's I've completed over the years. I include light bulbs in that as most of my work now days is in light bulbs and not bottles. Reason for this is the clarity of the glass in bulbs is so much better, allows people to see the extreme detailing far better.

I almost always scan plan drawings, import them into a CAD program and redraft them at full scale. Using the computer and CAD, one can get very accurate drawings but best of all, one can print those drawings to any scale one wants. Another benefit is that everything on a CAD drawing can be done in what is basically a transparent layer of the drawing, masts one one layer, hull on another, deck structures on another, all the various rigging split onto as many layers as you want, and each layer can be turned on or off before printing a given drawing. This helps tremendously when one wants to see something in particular on a scaled printout, as one can turn off anything that gets in the way or is unwanted on that particular print.

My personal advice to anyone working in sib modeling would be to try a little of everything. No one does this sort of thing exactly the same as another person, each finds their own "comfort level" with techniques and methods, but only by trying out different things. See an interesting idea of how to make something, give it a try, it might work for you, or it might not, but you'll never know if you don't give it a go at least once. In most cases, what you will find is that with a little of your own tweaking, it will be the perfect idea for you.

Currently working on my 3rd series of 3 models of the Armed Transport Bounty, in 3" globe light bulbs. For some reason my clients seem to like it a lot, hence my 3rd series of such models. As always, the second series was an improvement on the first, and the 3rd will be better than the 2nd series, or at least that is the plan! <Grin>

Anyway, if I can be of any  help to any members, ask away! If I can help, I certainly will attempt to do so.

Anchor's A Weigh!

John Fox III

Ladysmith, WI

Hi John,

Welcome to BSB. We are glad to have you aboard.

I have been a follower of your work for many many years.

For newcomers to the craft of building ships in bottles, John truly is a master at this craft.  I have several of his CD's and many issues of model ship builder, that has his articles in them, that I use often for reference.

Again John,  Welcome aboard.

Gwyl

Greetings Igor,

Welcome aboard! Glad you enjoyed the work displayed on my web site!

Forums like this are wonderful ways for all of us to communicate our ideas and thoughts. Access to many different methods and techniques is the best way I know to find the one's that fit an individual's comfort level with ship in bottle modeling.

Anchor's A Weigh!

John Fox III

Ladysmith, WI

• 4 weeks later...