Bottled Ship Builder

Summer building vs Winter building

I know for me, the summer time always seems to be full of things to do that are not SIB related.  Although I still tinker with SIB's in the summer, the fall and winter time seems to get more SIB attention.  

What are your busier times for building?  Any slow time too?

Gwyl

I know for me, the summer time always seems to be full of things to do that are not SIB related.  Although I still tinker with SIB's in the summer, the fall and winter time seems to get more SIB attention.  

What are your busier times for building?  Any slow time too?

Gwyl

Same for me, summer least, winter most

For me it's whenever I can get the time.

• Working on putting a Pilot Cutter SIB kit together, then ship it to Charlie B.
  • Working on my son's Nova SS a lot lately!
  • Working on the article for Lone Warrior

Life has a funny way of throwing some curve balls.... so the trick is to; either dodge them or knock them out of the park!

Jeff

remember when I had the energy to do so so much each day and I still could find time to work in my hobby room.  Now it seems that both time and energy have limited amounts and some days I just plain run out of each.  I do get a pick up in the colder months though.  I am looking forward to the fall and winter for just this reason.

Gwyl

Don Hubbard wrote an article for Bottle Shipwright several years ago about how to get motivated to do some bottling. I don't remember much about it, other than that among other things he suggested bottling something as a potential gift with a recipient in mind. Might be possible to find the article through the Bottle Shipwright archives.

I bottle in all seasons, but tend to associate the hobby with summer since I learned to bottle in the summer, and had more free time to bottle as a kid during the summer.  Selling ships in bottles at shows and on the streets was also a summer activity with me. Hawking fishing smacks on the streets of Boston in February could tend to cool one's passion for bottling.

For about twenty years I could fit my bottling gear into single ditty box;  simply grabbing the box and going at it when the mood struck. Now I have more stuff and work from a dedicated area, with all my stuff piled around me. I kinda miss shaving masts on my knee and rigging in my palm with everything strung together by a triatic stay, but get more done with a workspace set up and ready to go.

In my experience, bottling a ship starts with a picture of some interesting vessel, or an idea about a new way to rig shrouds or something. Inspiration comes in all seasons, and it serves my purposes best to strike while the iron's hot, whatever the weather's doing.

TJ

I had a box which must have been something similar TJ. I had everything in it. When we moved to a bigger house I had a small room just for doing my own thing in. When we moved to Tenerife I found I had no space at all. I have to do my modelling on the dining room table. My bits and pieces are all in a cupboard and it takes a while to sort out what I want. If I don´t have a lot of time I tend not to bother as it takes longer setting up and putting away. I seem to have so much more in the way of tools and implements than I used to have. I think I will have to settle on my most favoured tools and make or buy a box for them. 

Daniel and Bernard...

I've been thinking about boxes and bottling stations as I work on my current model. Inexpensive three tray plastic tackle boxes look potentially useful, most of what i have is small tools, jigs, and parts. One of those rolling mechanic's tool chests might work for me, but they're kind of expensive.

I tend to sprawl as I work and never seem to have enough work surface, so i've been thinking of ways to increase that. Years ago on a job, we had some Italian sub-contractors laying hardwood flooring. One of the guys had a pair of oblong wooden tool boxes, each with a pair of collapsable flap type legs underneath that folded open and locked with step-ladder hinges the guy had scrounged somewhere. When he opened the legs, the boxes served him as saw horses, he'd sit on one to eat his lunch. I built a couple for myself, and used them happily for years. Now i'm thinking that  three boxes like that, but with drawers built into the tool box portion, would suit me very well, and could be engineered to provide a horse-shoe type work surface which could be stowed away without taking up much space when not in use.

TJ

When I started bottling ships I moved a lot working large construction jobs and kept all my tools and supplies in a fishing tackle box which I still have 35+ years later. I outgrew it about 10 years ago simply because I got away from that kind of journeyman work but could still use it if I had to.

post-30-0-56393200-1438576022_thumb.jpg

Tackle box closed with dial calipers for size reference.

post-30-0-83960600-1438576021_thumb.jpg

Box with cover open and storage folded.

post-30-0-68907400-1438576020_thumb.jpg

Box completely opened. There's an airline size, single serving glass liquor bottle in the bottom.

There's also a larger single serving glass wine bottle with a partially built America I had forgotten.

Thanks for making me look in this box again; I thought America was lost years ago.

As proof that this box is as old as I say it is there are bottles of paint in the bottom that now make pretty good rattles because the volatile ingredients have long ago evaporated.

TJ. The table sounds a really good idea. Not sure I would have somewhere to keep the table as my wife is a stickler for order. However I shall look at ways to maybe do something like that.

Dave.  That box is on the lines of what I was thinking about. If I had two I could perhaps use one for my painting and sanding materials and tools, and one for the hull and mast materials and tools. 

I hope you get to finish your America now you have found it. 

Bernard...

Here's a picture of my "old" ditty box, hard to believe that there was a time in the late seventies when i thought of it as my "new" box. I made the model ship back in 1967, it's the oldest i still own. The box worked well for me, though digging around in the bottom for things was a bit like dumpster diving. My current state of sprawl has out-grown the box, but i imagine i could get back to it if i had to.

TJ

post-44-0-54416800-1438609511_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-09464700-1438609531_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-71410000-1438609553_thumb.jpg

That looks great TJ. It looks as though you can get quite a lot in there. I was looking at boxes in the local Chinese shop yesterday and I saw some interesting ones. They have some which are see through and made out of plastic, they are about 20 inches by 10 inches by 6 inches. Being see through is an advantage and they would easily stack 3 high in my cupboard and side by side. I can also label them on the ends and just take out what I need then. I will give it some serious thought before parting with my euros. 

Bernard...

I bought some clear storage boxes like what you describe, also some flat plastic compartmented boxes, but will probably wind up purchasing some plastic tackle boxes at the end of the summer, with maybe some sort cabinet with shelves to store them in, featuring a wooden top matching the height of my current work table.

TJ