Bottled Ship Builder

Hello to Everyone

Patch

By looking at the images of your work you are all far beyond me when I was doing this 20 to 30 years ago. My training was a half inch thick book from the library and my plans were from another library book. No Internet available. Did 5 ships of increasing difficulty.

I'm now 68, blind in 1 eye and have 18 scars and a fold in the other retina. However, I've taught myself how to work wood again to the 1/64th of an inch. Now I want to try another ship in a bottle. I may fail, but I want to try.

I would like to do a working ship from one of the New England ports to honor those sailor's contribution to building this country. Where can I find plans for these type of ships that don't cost a good percentage of what the original ship plans cost to have drawn? The last ship I ruined by putting it in a totally inappropriate bottle so any help with suppliers would be appreciated.

20220310_151240.jpg

Greetings Patch,

We all started from the same point, no experience and a lot of experimentation. With modern internet access, you may be able to find some plans that would suit for your proposed model. My own interests don't go there, so I can't help with any directions, but have found that most things can be found if you search diligently online.

Good luck!

Anchor's  A Weigh!

John Fox III

Welcome Patch! I rather like your ship in a bottle. Looks kinda cool. I am a similar age to you and started modelling in the mid 1980’s but gave it up because of work and family commitments but restarted in the next millennium. My eyesight has also deteriorated so I try to get as much modelling done while I still can.

‘Onni’

Onni

That's why I'm asking for information. I'm not too lazy to dig for it, but deteriorating health and eye sight means I would rather spend my time modeling. Been looking for plans for a while now. I'm going to read through your site this week and see how the craft is done right.  

Patch