Bottled Ship Builder

Greetings from a railway modeller!

R Johns

Up to a couple of years ago all my modelling has been railway related. Wanting to do something new I have been building some wood ships and nautical wood kits. Being from Portsmouth and also living in Plymouth and working in the dockyards, all things nautical have also been an interest of mine. Now, having run out of wall space, and the smallest wood ships being about two foot long and not forgetting the height of the masts, I have decided to give ships in bottles a go as I can get more of my completed work on display.

I am looking at starting my first model early next year. I am currently working on a panart double cannon deck kit. I am also experimenting colouring clay with paint, trying watercolour (easier clean up) then acrylics. Also looking at plasticine for the sea.

Thus far I think the best fun will be finding a nice shaped bottle and drinking the contents so I can put a ship in it.

I was looking for a prototype ship to do as my first build. I happen to have a larger model of HMS Bounty's jolly boat. Only a single mast but I have a nice ex rum bottle measuring about 8" that is crying out to be used.

8 hours ago, R Johns said:

I am looking at starting my first model early next year. I am currently working on a panart double cannon deck kit. I am also experimenting colouring clay with paint, trying watercolour (easier clean up) then acrylics. Also looking at plasticine for the sea.

Thus far I think the best fun will be finding a nice shaped bottle and drinking the contents so I can put a ship in it.

I was looking for a prototype ship to do as my first build. I happen to have a larger model of HMS Bounty's jolly boat. Only a single mast but I have a nice ex rum bottle measuring about 8" that is crying out to be used.

Plasticine is the easiest. If you heat it on the bottom side a little after it is put in place it partially melts and seals itself to the glass. You can shape the top however you want, it never hardens and stays just like you put it.