Bottled Ship Builder

East African complete

Shipbuilder

I completed the East African a few minutes ago.       The total building time, timed on a stopwatch, was 64 hours.   That was spread over  36 days that I actually worked on it.   I began the model on the 10th February this year, and did nothing on it sometimes for days on end!

Bob

post-34-0-50282600-1461774742_thumb.jpg

Beautiful, neat, clean work, Bob

Its always a pleasure to watch the build steps, but still a pleasant surprise when the final result is so crisp and authentic.

I may have missed the process, but how do you make the ships boats so small and clean?

andrew

PS - thank you for airing your gallery from Picasa.  I specially liked the open boats and whaleboat.

Thanks,

Plenty of info on the ship if you put "barque East African" in Google search.   Painting, photographs, newspaper reports etc.     Ship was turned into a storage hulk in 1918 and scrapped several years later.     The boats were vacuum-formed in a small home-made vacuum box.   The insides were printed on a piece of card using the computer, cut out and stuck in.    This method looks great in miniatures, but would look awful in larger models.    Most of the ship's life, she was painted grey, but originally had painted ports as in the model.

Bob

Edited by Shipbuilder

Beutiful work. She looks incredible. I love the detail on the rigging. It really brings the ship to life.

I agree, she is a beautiful ship.  As Daniel mentioned above, your detail on the rigging does bring the ship to life.  I think it has to do with the way the lines lie.  I can't remember the word I am looking for to describe the gravity sag in the lines but it help to show authenticity!  Another great build Bob.  

Gwyl

I agree, she is a beautiful ship.  As Daniel mentioned above, your detail on the rigging does bring the ship to life.  I think it has to do with the way the lines lie.  I can't remember the word I am looking for to describe the gravity sag in the lines but it help to show authenticity!  Another great build Bob.  

Gwyl

How about catenary?  Literally that is the shape of a chain hanging free, but also applies to a rope

Actually its done by Bob with such artistic skill it might also be describes as entasis :D

andrew

Thanks,

As far as I know, it can only be done by using copper wire rigging.     Stretch the wire slightly using two small pairs of pliers.   That makes it go straight.     Pick it up by one end, and gently draw it between other finger and thumb along its length.   This gives it a curve.   The more pressure, the greater the curve!      This method no good for SIBs, but quite easy for cased models.

Bob

Edited by Shipbuilder

How about catenary?  Literally that is the shape of a chain hanging free, but also applies to a rope

Actually its done by Bob with such artistic skill it might also be describes as entasis :D

andrew

Andrew,  You are correct.  That is the word I was searching for.  Lloyd McCaffery also uses this word in his book to describe this approach to rigging properly.

Gwyl