Bottled Ship Builder

Glue

Gwyl Blaser

Glue!   One topic that comes up no matter what hobby we enjoy, is glue, and what kind you use. I know, as I construct a ship, I might use several types of glues, for different applications. Hull pieces, deck furniture, masts and yards, etc.  What is you glue of choice for a particular application?

Gwyl

It's odd, in days gone by i always had a scrap of wood or heavy paper on my bench with a small puddle of white glue on it and a splint of wood for an applicator. One day the white glue stayed in its bottle and cyano acrylate took its place as a series of small puddles on a square of black plastic sheeting. The applicator became a sewing needle imbedded in a small stick. Other than for working on sails, cyano acrylate, with accelerant has become my glue of choice. I can't remember when this happened or why, but know i wouldn't want to switch back.

The other day i picked up a package of small glue dots. I have them in mind to replace the practice moving small parts around inside the bottle with a needle lashed to the end of a wire and am wondering if they will prove better than the needle, and perhaps be useful for attaching deck furniture as well.

TJ

Lepage white glue for general purpose stuff.

Aleene's Original Tacky Glue for strong bonds and gaps

Beacon Gem Tac when I need a slower cure.

The Gem Tac is really great because with this glue you don't need any pressure whatsoever when using it. In fact the manufacturer recommends no pressure just stick and leave it alone. The stuff is awesome!

I stay away from the cyano super glues as they don't agree with me I am somewhat allergic to them.

I had to roar LOL ... however it probably wasn't really funny at the time. A war gaming colleague of mine had a bad habit of always using his mouth to open glues when working on miniatures. One day while using cyano he accidentally glued both of his lips together. He tried to keep it from all of us but it got out.

He has never lived it down to this day and he had to come clean and admit he messed up. Apparently he had one heck of a time getting his lips apart. For sake of saving face no names here.

Jeff

I had to roar LOL ... however it probably wasn't really funny at the time. A war gaming colleague of mine had a bad habit of always using his mouth to open glues when working on miniatures. One day while using cyano he accidentally glued both of his lips together. He tried to keep it from all of us but it got out.

He has never lived it down to this day and he had to come clean and admit he messed up. Apparently he had one heck of a time getting his lips apart. For sake of saving face no names here.

Jeff

Gives new meaning to the expression "lip lock".

• 2 weeks later...

I had to look up Gem Tac on google.  I didn't know if that was some special type of glue.  I found in online at walmart and the description said it is used for holding colorful gems on clothing.  I asked my wife if she knew what it was, and she said she has some in her hobby room.  I guess I need to take a tour of her hobby room more often.  I might find some useful items and tools there!  ;)

Gwyl

• 5 months later...

I use PVA or Epoxy depending on the application. I only use CA for making "needle points" in rigging line to thread them through blocks etc. I don't trust the stuff to do anything else with - too many joints have failed in the past.

I'll have to check out that Gem Tac - never heard of it before.