Bottled Ship Builder

Greetings from Illinois!

DMC1964

Hello, everyone.

I'm just starting my Ships in Bottles journey.  I've built quite a few ship models over the years and decided to give this a try.  I was organizing some books one day and my son saw this one.  "You should make one of those," he said.  And I said, "I think I might."

I started with Victorine, which is the first model in the book (Ships in Bottles by Guy De Marco).  I made the hull based on the plans in the book.  The plans aren't symmetrical athwartships, which I didn't discover until I'd finished making it, so off I went to find some proper plans.  Once I'd done that I found the actual vessel had much less sheer and a wider beam than the plans in the book, so I corrected those things and built the model.  Along the way, I built a cradle for the bottle, an erecting trestle and a bunch of lances.  The ship's in the bottle now and I need to add the resin sea and the silicone waves, build a display cradle and plunk a nameplate on it.

I'd post pictures, but I seem to be having trouble uploading them...

I'm glad I found this forum and look forward to seeing all the impressive models here.

Dan

Greetings Dan,

Not sure what your problem with photos is, but when I first tried I had problems too. I normally store my photo files as .tiff files, as they are uncompressed. That did not work for me when trying to upload, so I changed the file type to .jpeg/.jpg, and reduced the size to 1048x764, then it worked fine for me.

Welcome aboard! Have fun looking around!

Anchor's A Weigh!

John Fox III

17 hours ago, DMC1964 said:

Thanks, John!

Really looking forward to your talk in Manitowoc this year!

I think I've solved the problem:  file size.  When I reduced the size, everything went fine.

Greetings Dan,

Glad to hear, and see, that you've solved the photo posting problem!  I hope my presentation meets with your expectations. Do you plan to enter this exquisite model in the competition?

Anchor's A Weigh!

John Fox III

That's the plan, John!

I've been working over the past week or so to figure out the "sea."  I wanted to use an epoxy resin for the base, then silicone for the waves.  I haven't been able to make resin that looks good.  The first 0.5 oz batch I made was really dark.  I used acrylic paint as a colorant.  So, last night, I got some actual acrylic resin tinting agent and tried that.  Looks alright this morning, but it's still not set up completely, so we'll see.  I'm starting to think just using the silicone might be the right way to go.  There's really not much room for the sea in the bottle, so I can probably just add small amounts of tinted caulk and then paint the whitecaps on the waves.

Once that's done, I'll need to make a more attractive cradle.  I bought a nice piece of mahogany a while back that will look really good.

Dan

On 4/21/2022 at 7:38 AM, DMC1964 said:

That's the plan, John!

I've been working over the past week or so to figure out the "sea."  I wanted to use an epoxy resin for the base, then silicone for the waves.  I haven't been able to make resin that looks good.  The first 0.5 oz batch I made was really dark.  I used acrylic paint as a colorant.  So, last night, I got some actual acrylic resin tinting agent and tried that.  Looks alright this morning, but it's still not set up completely, so we'll see.  I'm starting to think just using the silicone might be the right way to go.  There's really not much room for the sea in the bottle, so I can probably just add small amounts of tinted caulk and then paint the whitecaps on the waves.

Once that's done, I'll need to make a more attractive cradle.  I bought a nice piece of mahogany a while back that will look really good.

Dan

Greetings Dan,

Can't help you with fake water/sea, never use that in any of my modeling efforts. I prefer to model the full hull, detailed model, and nothing else besides some sort of stand for the model inside the bottle or light bulb. Good luck with your efforts in that direction!

Anchor's A Weigh!

John Fox III

Hi Dan,

Thats a nice looking ship.  Everything looks nice and crisp, and I like the detail on the foresail.  Let us know if you find a good clear resin and way to color it.  I used a resin I had around from a canoe repair, but it started off sort of brown, and the result was not great.  I'm not sure where to get the clear stuff.

Andy