Jump to content

Black Pearl


qwerty2008
 Share

Recommended Posts

As this is an old build I will be copy pasting it from MSW. I will not do this for all my models but this was one of my favorites. 

 

Originally posted Mar: 18 2014.

I got a call from a relative who wants me to make them a ship in a bottle, they were not specific on what they wanted they just said a pirate ship. I thought abought it and realized that real pirate ships are not that recognizable as "pirate ships" so I decided on the Black Pearl from Disney's Pirates Of The Caribbean.
   I found some plans on the web and immediately started on the model. The hull is made in three pieces from balsa, the upper works are made in four pieces also balsa, the decks are made from thin plywood and the mast are bamboo skewers. 

post-67-0-79028000-1431229373_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-64244500-1431229377_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-43398600-1431229382_thumb.jpg

 

 

 

 

Lextin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted Mar: 23 2014

I have started on the details such as the capstan and the hatches. the capstan slides up and down the mast covering the Hinkley hinge when in the down position but allowing the mast to fold when in the up position.

post-67-0-10751500-1431229847_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-61930300-1431229851_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-43460200-1431229856_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-54628600-1431229860_thumb.jpg

 

 

 

 

Lextin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted Mar: 24 2014

I made the cannons and the stand for the bottle. I also scratched the paint off the deck leaving lines simulating planks as well as creating some contrast from all the black. The stand for the bottle is made from some old worm eaten wood.

post-67-0-75833800-1431229960_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-74788700-1431229965_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-46489700-1431229970_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-17359400-1431229975_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-11714900-1431229980_thumb.jpg

 

 

 

Lextin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted Mar: 25 2014

I made the beakhead railing, figurehead and the stern lanterns. The figurehead is made from two card cutouts glued together in a V shape with the open end of the V around the stem, the railings are strips of card shaped then soaked in CA to harden them and the stern lanterns are made from bamboo skewers and are placed lower than they should be, so they wont block the piece from fitting through the neck of the bottle.

post-67-0-61927400-1431237795_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-73266200-1431237802_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-13490600-1431237827_thumb.jpg

 

 

 

 

Lextin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted Apr: 12 2014

It is ready to bottle. I decided to run only an outer jib as far as staysails go and to treat the aft upper works as if it were its own model and will assemble it in the bottle first then set it at the back of the bottle while I assemble the rest of the model.

   The port side shrouds are a little wonky but its to late to fix them.

post-67-0-57924400-1431238436_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-01730500-1431238441_thumb.jpg

 

 

 

 

Lextin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted Apr: 14 2014

I got it in the bottle but it didn't turn out to well, the main mast is skewed off at a weird angle, the sails are crooked, the shrouds are loose and to make matters worse I found that the inside of the bottle is severely scratched presumably from the last time I cleaned the bottle. I may end up restarting in a new bottle and make the model smaller so that it will be easier to get inside the bottle.

post-67-0-16650100-1431238619_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-07825400-1431238624_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-00152800-1431238628_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-57437500-1431238632_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-40512100-1431238637_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-93544400-1431238641_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-27988100-1431238646_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-85756100-1431238650_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-53399100-1431238655_thumb.jpg

Here are some of the tools I used to bottle the model. Not shown are some aluminium rods that I bent into shapes to press the model into the clay also not shown are my CA applicators which are basically bamboo skewers with a thin wire with a loop attached to one end.

post-67-0-28515200-1431238692_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-28515200-1431238692_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-53096900-1431238700_thumb.jpg

 

 

 

Lextin.

post-67-0-25060700-1431238696_thumb.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted Apr: 27 2014

I added the finishing touches to the Black Pearl and they made all the difference as the model now looks rather nice just as long as you don't look to closely. I will still finish the second one but I think that this one will be the getting a new home after all. 

post-67-0-71800900-1431238831_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-07646100-1431238836_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-00725600-1431238840_thumb.jpg

 

 

 

 

Lextin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...