Bottled Ship Builder

Volvo Ocean Race

Gwyl Blaser

I remember reading about two purpose built ocean racing sailboats breaking the 89 day 8 hour New York to San Francisco record around the Horn set by Flying Cloud in 1853, anchor to anchor, or 89 days 4 hours set by Andrew Jackson, pilot to pilot, in 1859-60. All I could think was "So what? Now do it with about 1,500 tons (3 million pounds!) of cargo on board."

I remember reading about two purpose built ocean racing sailboats breaking the 89 day 8 hour New York to San Francisco record around the Horn set by Flying Cloud in 1853, anchor to anchor, or 89 days 4 hours set by Andrew Jackson, pilot to pilot, in 1859-60. All I could think was "So what? Now do it with about 1,500 tons (3 million pounds!) of cargo on board."

Dave,

You make an excellent point.  Some of the everyday accomplishments (i.e.: Flying Cloud) making the record fully loaded, is still amazing today.  The purpose built boats are really just fluff when compared.

I wonder how much we take for granted, of the accomplishments of those who, almost centuries ago were just doing their job.  I had the opportunity to meet Sir Edmund Hillary once, in the 1960's. I was about 10yrs old. He was speaking at a seminar in Sun Valley about his climb to the top of Everest.  I still marvel today, about the fact that he did it, without all of the technology, tools, clothing, electronic, etc that we have today.  Don't get me wrong, I think that climbing Everest today is still a feat, but when compared to Hillary,  or rounding the horn like the fully laden Flying Cloud, They are not in the same league.

Gwyl

In the past I have viewed these races on YouTube to gain knowledge on different types of seas, how the water reacts, and how these boats handle some of the storms. Your post got my attention. There is quite the science behind these races and they are very competitive. There is also a German Scale manufacturer of these boats who makes small scale remote controlled yachts to sail on a lake or the inlet of an ocean bay for the hardcore enthusiast.

The RC models are big bucks. There are some Hard Core scale yacht clubs in the UK, Germany, et al with competitions held to race these models just Iike the big boys. Very interesting what goes on these days. At one time I thought about getting into the RC scene until I saw the prices to rig up a decent boat etc.

Thanks for posting the video it brings back a few fond memories and dreams.

Jeff