Bottled Ship Builder

allan sib

allan sib

This is my latest pic of the progress on my Sir Tristram model,so far these are some of the components that help to form the model ,I will be keeping the hull white with touches of pale blue just above the waterline this colour was part of the eastern approaches scheme and I will apply a similar scheme to my second ship HMT Islay,which I am still scaling up the plans. I still have a long way to go to reach the model completion.

HMT Sir Tritram components.JPG

Looks great Allan. I really enjoyed your "Tribute" in the latest issue of "Bottleship". My brother retired from the U.S. Navy 10 years ago, having spent a good deal of his time on the Atlantic out of Norfolk, Virginia. I've been contemplating a S.I.B for him along the lines of the one you are doing currently. I'm curious if you use styrene, primarily wood or it seems maybe a mixture for all the detail on deck? At any rate, it looks like a great start and as I haven't seen many build logs of ships with internal combustion engines. I'm looking forward to following your progress on this one. Best to you, Don

Hello Donald thank you for your appreciation of my work,yes I use different materials in my builds I always use lime wood or basswood as it is sometimes called for the hulls and major parts and styrene, my bulwarks are made of limewood veneer lined with tissue paper and the capping rails are styrene,I always use seasoned bamboo for masts yards and bowsprits,in all my 47 years of sibbing I have never had a breakage,I use 100% polyester threads for rigging they can be bought in various thicknesses,I like to burnish all wood parts especially across the grain,I do sometimes use jelutong to make small boats I used to use enamel paints but recently found how good the Vallejo acrylic paints are in the dropper bottles so have converted to them.I hope you dont mind me asking you I have been trying to find out the colour scheme of the ww2 trawlers that the UK sent to the USA but without success,I do have a list of them and names also of losses,I do believe that USA used a deep blue on some warships so wondered if it was used on the trawlers,so if you can find out and let me know I would be very grateful,I have the plan for the HMT Bedfordshire as a fishing boat but not showing her ww2 colour scheme,I look forward to hearing from you.regards Allan.

On 1/3/2022 at 7:19 AM, allan sib said:

Hello Donald thank you for your appreciation of my work,yes I use different materials in my builds I always use lime wood or basswood as it is sometimes called for the hulls and major parts and styrene, my bulwarks are made of limewood veneer lined with tissue paper and the capping rails are styrene,I always use seasoned bamboo for masts yards and bowsprits,in all my 47 years of sibbing I have never had a breakage,I use 100% polyester threads for rigging they can be bought in various thicknesses,I like to burnish all wood parts especially across the grain,I do sometimes use jelutong to make small boats I used to use enamel paints but recently found how good the Vallejo acrylic paints are in the dropper bottles so have converted to them.I hope you dont mind me asking you I have been trying to find out the colour scheme of the ww2 trawlers that the UK sent to the USA but without success,I do have a list of them and names also of losses,I do believe that USA used a deep blue on some warships so wondered if it was used on the trawlers,so if you can find out and let me know I would be very grateful,I have the plan for the HMT Bedfordshire as a fishing boat but not showing her ww2 colour scheme,I look forward to hearing from you.regards Allan.

Hi Allen, I don't mind a bit, just a little delay. The only thing I could find was from a site called theminiaturespage.com In that site is a message board that reads WW1/WW2 Naval Painting guides message board. A thread within that is titled WW2 east Coast Trawlers that addresses just this. One person replied... "also worth noting that many trawlers operated by the RN were purpose built rather than having been taken up from trade, so they would sport current RN camoflage at the time as a matter of course."

Hope that helps a bit. Interesting story about the sailor on the HMT Bedfordshire that wound up in the drunk tank for the night and missed his ship, thus saving his life.

Edited by Donald