Bottled Ship Builder

HMB Endeavour, a scratch build

MickyK

Hi All,

After the debacle of getting all the lines tangled inside the bottle, I was able to remove the mizzen mast without damage.

However, by that stage, I had lines caught around anything in the bottle that could trap a piece of string, from the yards on the sprite, to the flagpole at the transom, including the cannons, gunnels, ships wheel, anything on deck! 

So I spent a month trying to straighten things out, I made up pokey tools, hooky tools, pushy and pully tools,  all to no avail!

The boat hull is still firmly glued inside the bottle!

Then  little bits and pieces started to break off, (yards on the sprit, Ships wheel, etc) , so ultimately, I have decided to give the whole project a miss.

Maybe my ambition exceeded my talents, these are the things in life that we have to learn!

It was an enjoyable 12 months, though!

Moab, the sails are made from some very light-weight sail material, I think it is kevlar (mylar?) reinforced plastic (?) stuff.

Stay safe, and enjoy your builds.

Cheers

Mick

16 hours ago, MickyK said:

Hi All,

After the debacle of getting all the lines tangled inside the bottle, I was able to remove the mizzen mast without damage.

However, by that stage, I had lines caught around anything in the bottle that could trap a piece of string, from the yards on the sprite, to the flagpole at the transom, including the cannons, gunnels, ships wheel, anything on deck! 

So I spent a month trying to straighten things out, I made up pokey tools, hooky tools, pushy and pully tools,  all to no avail!

Then  little bits and pieces started to break off, (yards on the sprit, Ships wheel, etc) , so ultimately, I have decided to give the whole project a miss.

Maybe my ambition exceeded my talents, these are the things in life that we have to learn!

Moab, the sails are made from some very light-weight sail material, I think it is kevlar (mylar?) reinforced plastic (?) stuff.

Cheers

Mick

Oh no, thats not good to hear, i really feel for you after all that hard work! I actually only rig seperate parts and then do all the assembly inside the bottle with lots of made up poky pushy and pully tools, mabe now its in you could try a different approach to finish it, have, a rest and a think and go back to it in a while, i think you will be pleasantly surprised at what you can achieve! 

On 12/27/2020 at 6:48 PM, MickyK said:

Hi All,

Cheers

Mick

Greetings Mikey,

Had that happen a few times in all the models I have built. My solution was to break the bottle, carefully, remove the model, then fix it all up. I would then buy or build a small case for the finished model. Not the ship in bottle I intended, but it saved all that work and still made for a nice model presentation.

Anchor's A Weigh!

John Fox III

• 4 weeks later...

My second ship I definitely over-reached and tried the same thing as you, detaching the masts and assembling in the bottle.  I ended up with a rat's nest that would never be untangled.  Not willing to give up on the hundred hours I'd invested, after taking a few months off, I took a hammer to the bottle, rescued the ship, refit her using wire hinges on the masts, found a slightly bigger bottle, and successfully re-launched her.

I hope you don't give up on SIBs permanently!  Good luck!