Bottled Ship Builder

HMB Endeavour, a scratch build

MickyK

Hi All, 

I've started on a SIB of the HMB Endeavour, which is a relatively famous ship in this part of the world.

I started about a month ago, after I'd visited the replica of the ship, and taken heaps of photos. As it lives locally in Sydney harbour,  it was a nice day out!

So far, I've shaped the hull, carved out of some nice straight grained soft wood from an old office table, which was about 40 years old.

I've also played with masts and spas, with mixed success!

The hull is sliced at the waterline, and so far, I can fit it down the neck of my bottle. (Always  bonus!)

This build is going to take me months, as I have to learn how to do and make everything.

So any comments, criticisms, pointers where I'm going wrong, etc will be more than welcome.

Thanks.

Mick

hull 3.JPG

hull 4.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Gentlemen.

For the last couple of weeks, I've been trying to make the ship in the wrong order!

Normally, on a larger scale model, you plank the hull, then do the decks and bulwarks, in about that order.

I really should plank the decks, then the bulwarks, then plank the hull.

So I have the hull planking ready to rock and roll, the bulwarks are just about ready, as are the planks for the decks.

However, on close examination of the hull, the fore-mast is way off the center line, which will make the planking, and the rest of the ship, look really odd!

It is fixable, just a pain!

I'll drill out the existing mast hole to about 7 or 8 mm, put in a dowel plug, and then re-drill the mast hole on the center line. Sounds easy!!

The photo shows the problem.

Cheers.

Mick

Center line.JPG

Couldn't tell from the before photo. Reckon it's bc the masts all lined up straight in the photo. 

I wrote myself a time order checklist awhile back to keep my builds "on track". Step 1..., Step 2 ..., etc. I often come back after a few days or a week , scratching my chin thinking, what the heck was doing last? 

Fair winds on the rest of your build. 

J.

Edited by Jeff B

Hi Jeff,.

All the masts line up in a nice straight line, it's just because of over enthusiastic sanding in shaping the hull that made it go all skewiff!

I've just drilled and Dremmelled  both the fore-mast and the mizen-mast holes, and dribbled epoxy into the holes.

Tomorrow, I'll re-drill the holes in the correct place.

Are there any secrets to drilling into West System Epoxy??

My plan is to drill a small pilot hole, (0.8mm) then drill out to the correct size.

Hope it works!

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All.

Above the water-line is planked, the bulwarks are on, I wanted to plank below the water line, but it wouldn't happen! So it's painted, with "white stuff".

The gunwales (capping rails?)are next, followed by the transom, and then the deck furniture, cannons, wheel, capstan, jolly-boat,anchors,other stuff.

And masts etc.

The list goes on and on....

Cheers

Mick

planked.JPG

Thanks James,

The deck is planked with Light Ash veneer, left over from another project, with a couple of coats of clear, satin stain.

The hull is planked with paper, given a mottley stain, and glued on with PVA.

And the bulwarks are styrene. It only took 5 or 6 attempt to get them to fit, what with the sheer-line and the chain plates, (chains, channels??).

Cheers

Mick

Hi All.

I've done the hand-rails,(Gunnels?, Capping rails?, Bannisters?, Not sure of the correct terminology.)

Made from polyester thread, wiped with super-glue (CA), then wiped with a rag. Makes the thread quite rigid. Then glued with CA.

The canons aren't loaded yet, but they are made from styrene.

Cheers

Mick

Hand rails.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All.

A bit more  progress!

The Main and Mizzen are now on deck, at the moment just sitting there.

I think I'll do the lower shrouds at a later date, mainly so they don't get damaged, and more importantly, they don't get tangled!

I've put the sheets on the gaff sail, and they are becoming a nightmare, so those bits and pieces of thread which will end up hanging out of the bottle come launching time will be sorted out later.

Still a bit more to do!

Cheers, and stay safe.

Mick

Ship 3.JPG

• 1 month later...

Hi All.

I hope everyone is well, and getting over this Covid thing.

I've been playing with the ratlines.  With no success!

I tried several jigs, copied or adapted from others on this forum, but I couldn't get the ratlines to cut flat with the shrouds, using nail trimmers, knives ....., and they looked terrible. 

So I have decided to go without them. Sometimes, less is more!

I've also changed my gluing technique.  I use thin CA to initially fix things in place, a bit like tack welding, then use ZAP thick CA to hold it all permanently in place. The thick might take a while to set and go dry, but I don't want anything coming adrift at the worse possible moment!

The photo shows the main mast lower shrouds, still waiting for the glue to go off, and there are also the mizzen shrouds, all glued up, and pushed out of the way for the moment.

They are permanently attached to the chains(?) , and a thread goes through the caps, and eventually out the bottle neck. If I pull it tight, the shrouds come up nice and taut. Sounds like a good plan "A"!!

A bit more to do.

Cheers,

Mick

Main.JPG

• 2 months later...

Hi All.

Things are happening, progress is being made.

The masts are sitting where they live, just have to now start attaching the sheets etc to the sails, and arrange them so that they can run out of the neck and stay untangled!

Also photos of the quarter deck with the ships wheel, which I've made 5 or 6 of, and a hatch, one of the main deck with cannons all loaded, the ships boat actually lives between the cannons, and a shot of the anchors, which also took more than one attempt to make!

So there is more to be done, just have to figure out how!

Cheers,

Mick

deck 2.JPG

Quarter deck.JPG

Main deck.JPG

Anchor 2.JPG

• 2 months later...

She's Launched!!!!

It's been a while since I've been here, but slowly bits have come together.

There is a photo of the ship, rigged, (almost), sitting on the table, one of my launching tool,(launch ramp??),which is modelled after the Amarti tool I used for Hannah, and one of her in the bottle, with the air pump going to get rid of any fumes from the glue.

I have the mast handling tool sorted out, it seems to work on the dummy runs, and a few suitable Swann Morton blades in the post, due very soon, which clip onto an extended handle.

Now I just have to rig her!

Cheers

Mick

Boat 3.JPG

Tool.JPG

Launched.JPG

• 4 weeks later...