Bottled Ship Builder

The epitomey of defineing our Pasion.

Hi all:

Yesterday I was going through the nautical section of my library at home and I came across this book that a friend had gifted me many years ago. Hadn't look at it for years. It's a real treasure in it's eclectic relevance within the time frame it was published, (1928). For whatever reason I decided to thumb through it for a bit and I was really struck by the first two paragraphs of the PREFACE.

I thought I'd share this as it is so perfect in my minds eye about how we are and do. Enjoy the words of someone who loved the art of modeling long before we fell for it in our particular way. The prose here is classic. 

Sail on guys. Bruce.

IMG-7929.jpg

IMG-7932(1).jpg

IMG-7930.jpg

Jeff B.

An interesting Thing that I wanted to scout out right away in this book was What were they using for glue in model making in those days. I found a reference to a tube of Seccotine. Which I googled to find out it was a smelly fish glue made in France packaged in a lead tube, and was patented in the late 1890's. There is also mention of "gum" glue but I haven't seen any other reference to a brand or what it's made from. I'm thinking it was like a rubber cement type thing?? Hopefully I'll find some more reference to it's nature as I glean through theses pages.

IMG-7938.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The Publisher is still trading in nautical books and model plans.

https://www.skipper.co.uk/

I've found that in a number of cases the nice new reprint from them is actually cheaper than an old copy from such as Amazon.

My copy is a 1944 reprint and it has a wealth of info on clipperships. This book has pullout plans for the Cutty Sark (simple waterline model) and larger detailed plans for the 4 mast Loch Torrens, plus dozens of other photos and drawings of masts and deck detail. Its worth getting hold of.

Happy New Year

Alan

Hi Bruce.

Yes, they are a bit flimsy. I've copied others that are similar by  using a piece of stiff white card behind the drawing, and the drawing held by paperclips. I held the book and drawing against a wall while my wife took a photo using a tripod. This works well. If there are no scales on the drawing. then photocopy a ruler and clip that on to the drawing for scale. This allows you to shrink/grow the image as required, so the different ones can be the same size. If you shrink them down, then some of the lines will become very close. A tip from my technical authoring days is to get some sharp coloured pencils and lightly colour in, for eg, the masts and sails. This makes them stand out from any rigging. 

best

Alan