Bottled Ship Builder

Starship Enterprise in bottle

Jeff B

Greetings shipwrights, 

In the  last few days I have been experimenting with the folding disk, it has to look right in the bottle. I' m on #4 and I think I figured it out. 

Meanwhile I chose one of the ships to be a static display for the shelf above my work area. 

Still envisioning  putting the other in the bottle piece by piece. 

Have a Happy Thanksgiving. Or a nice Thursday for those those outside the U.S.

Best regards, Jeff

image.jpg

Edited by Jeff B

Staric display/ prototype  is done. 

Lessons learned:

1. All 3 struts need to be really tight. They are holding unbalanced weight.

2. The red stripes are impossible for me to paint straight. Amazingly,   Scotch tape takes a red sharpie very well, can be cut with a razor blade and sticks well. 

3.Paint on tape seems to suck away adhesive property. 

4.  Measure twice, cut once.

5. The interweb, is a good source for details related to a specific ship. Photos plenty of this one, plans, paints used.

6. Each piece in the bottle will have to dry thoroughly and at maximum hold, before the next is added. I won't be able to use 2 hands to stop things from moving or applying pressure to the opposite side. 

Not to worry, it's still doable. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Jeff B
Effing autospell

Good day shipwrights, 

Today the other Enterprise is in the paint shop. This one is going into the bottle in pieces. I have chosen this side of the disk to be the top, as its cuts matched up the cleanest. On previous attempts, I have found that too many times of folding the disk weekend the rubber band holding it together. I imagine paint may make it brittle. One shot at going in. Honestly, that's all that's needed. 😀

image.jpg

Good morning shipwrights!

I snuck a peak in the basement at the bottles down there. Not gonna work. So I went shopping. 

I found a beauty full of rice wine vinegar for $3! Perfect! A 500 ml with a 23mm opening, and a short neck, like a rum bottle. I didn't waste the vinegar, I put it in a plastic water bottle, that never touched lips, poured into a glass. 

Moving on...Having gone where few men have gone before... I decided to thread the struts to lead them to the hull. I will probably have silicone epoxy in the strut holes. 

I drilled in pegs to mount the disk into and holes to recieve it. 

Getting close.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Jeff B

Wasted time I'll never get back. I tried to drill a hole in the struts and run the thread thru, then turn ends into a knot, thus giving a double thread. Too much bulk and finally, break in a thread and then a horrible knot mess. 

So.... A single thread, super glued to the strut. Threaded through bottom of fuselage, weighted with a heavy binder clip for now. I'll go in and cut them after hardened in the bottle.

A few finishing touches to go. Antenna array, NCC-1701 on top of disk, touch up red stripes from handling. Figure out standing  height in bottle. Get a couple cork shoes for bottle as stand. 

image.jpg

Edited by Jeff B

Good afternoon shipwrights,

Its been a productive day.

Antenna array is painted on a 3x5 card, cut out, pushed thru a broken needle and pushed into the bow. 

ID numbers on disk, touch up paint done, feet trimmed and affixed to bottle, height of ship in bottle figured out and mount is prepared.

The back of the bottle is cut off nice and cleanly. (Joke)

I also made 2 sets of bamboo tweezers with sliding tensioners. 

Next step is a little scary. Capt. Kirk would never admit it! To quote Capt. Picard, "when you were a young lad of 12, didn't you ever make a ship in a bottle?" 

image.jpg

Edited by Jeff B

I went in there this morning and its moving around on the nail. I had put silicone adhesive in the hole in the bottom of the fuselage, it's rubbery. 

I went in with a rod and put a few drops of ca glue on right close on the nail, letting it drop in. I'll come back to it later.

I fell asleep on the couch last night watching Star Trek 2009 version, seeking good karma.

Edited by Jeff B

Agreed. Dropping the pieces and chasing them around the bottle for an hour.  Ca glue would never work. The center of gravity/ balance is way off too. It's drying upside down so the engines stay horizontal and don't droop,

I promised the family I would spend the day with them tomorrow, Sunday. I need the glue to harden. 

The disk is next.😀

Going in....

I used ca glue on the disk because I didn't want to hold it or prop it for 24 hrs. 

I t set quickly and the disk has forward lift. Oyyyy. The folding disk was problematic in that one of the wings would not spring back into place. I had to use excessive force and the whole ship came off the mount again and was floating free in the bottle.

image.jpg

image.jpg