Bottled Ship Builder

New Guy

pob374

2 hours ago, pob374 said:

Yes, I bought it on line. It should arrive today. It is by Amati, I don't know if that's a good thing or not. Have any tips for me? Thanks, Norm

Hi Norm!
For three years I have accumulated a whole collection of the kits for building of SIB. I studied them, but I did not do any of them. If I'm not mistaken, I did not particularly like the metal masting in Amati's kits.

• 1 month later...
On 12/22/2017 at 8:51 AM, pob374 said:

Yes, I bought it on line. It should arrive today. It is by Amati, I don't know if that's a good thing or not. Have any tips for me? Thanks, Norm

Hey Norm, I built this SIB a couple of years ago as my first SIB.  It's a nice kit, but the one thing I'd point out is that the masts and spars and bowsprit are flat, brass photo-etched parts.  They have pre-drilled holes which makes rigging easier, but (1) they are essentially 2-D parts, and (2) they are so thin that you need to be really careful with them.  If you happen to bend them once or twice, eventually they will snap apart.  That happened to my bowsprit a few times, and it was a royal pain in the you know where to fix it.  I was also worried that they masts would snap during insertion and raising in the bottle, but thankfully the SIB gods took pity on me.All in all though, it's a nice kit and a nice way to start the hobby.  Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.  I put up a build log on modelshipworld.com, but don't think I put one up here.  I do have pictures of it here though:

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Hi All,

I'm in possession of a couple of these kits by Amati, donated to EASIB by a member who is getting too frail to continue. We will probably be offering them for sale to members via our magazine in the first instance. Of course, I had to have a look at the contents and instructions. The hull is built of of a series of laser cut laminations, then sanded smooth. The photoetched parts are all nice and crisp. As has been pointed out, the masts are 2D photoetched. But it is a reasonable bottle, clear and with a good size neck for a beginner. The finished article looks ok in the pictures. There is also a tool for holding the SIB in the bottle - it looks a bit like one of the small hacksaws that are made from bent  steel, but shaped to one side of the hull profile at the waterline, with thread completing the 'loop' to hold the SIB in place. I'm thinking of using the method in future - all ideas and techniques should be shared.

Hope you have fun making it.

Alan