Bottled Ship Builder

Books and Research (Moved) From Build log

Dave Fellingham

I posted some pdf files of several books from the late 18th and early to mid 19th centuries on my USS Constitution build log covering masting, rigging, block and sail making and other technical aspects of outfitting sailing ships. The methods haven't changed much since then and are still very useful.

The books by Steel were first published in 1794 and were used by Royal Navy officers as text books. They are still in print which testifies to their usefulness. Be prepared for letter 's' that looks similar to an 'f'.

David-Steel-Vol-Ia-Elements-and-Practice-of-Rigging-and-Seamanship-1794.pdf

David-Steel-Vol-Ib-Elements-and-Practice-of-Rigging-and-Seamanship-1794.pdf

David-Steel-Vol-IIa-Elements-and-Practice-of-Rigging-and-Seamanship-1794.pdf

David-Steel-Vol-IIb-Elements-and-Practice-of-Rigging-and-Seamanship-1794.pdf

This is a manual for rigging by Steel excerpted from the larger work and published separately at a later date.

The_Art_of_Rigging_by David Steel1.pdf

This book by Lever, which I have mentioned before, was first published in 1809, similar to Steel's "Art of Rigging". It is also still in print and covers more of what was done on merchant vessels. It has more illustrations and is my primary "go to" for rigging details. It was purchased in bulk by the early US Navy for officer training from about 1820 until the publication of Brady's book.

Darcy_Lever_The_Young_Sea_Officer_s_Sheet_Anchor1.pdf

This last by Brady, an American, was first published in 1841 and covers American practice, for both US Navy and mercantile vessels. It's no longer in print. This is an 1849 edition.

The Kedge Anchor1, William Brady, 1849.pdf

I recieved Schooner Sunset yesterday. This book is fantastic! Lots of illustrations and drawings, the narratvie is second to none and well written. Bennet was born in 1916 and sailed on the schooner Alert and Brooklands. His gift is in his details and meticulas drawings. If you want to model schooners this is the book to have. I have the book until the tenth of September and then it goes back to the Library in Toronto Canada.

Jeff

I ordered the "Ship Models in Glass" from Hille and Young via the link that Alan provided.  Wow, it's an amazing book!  I've only had a few minutes to flip through it, but it seems incredibly comprehensive.  I have probably half a dozen other SIB books, but this one looks like it could be the bible of them all. 

There's about 150 pages of in-depth, how-to instructions - here are the chapters:

1.  Techniques

2.  Tools of the Trade

3.  Materials

4.  Bottles, Stands, & Embellishments

5.  The Sea

6.  Seascapes & Dioramas

7.  Hulls

8.  Fitting out the Deck

9.  Masts & Spars

10.  Rigging the Model

11.  Sails, Flags & Flag Lore

12.  Books, Plans & Nautical Terms

There are also four projects in the book, so fewer than maybe some of the other books out there, but very detailed instructions.  Finally, there are a few appendices on suppliers, pattern sheets (sails, flags and detailing), and a bibliography.

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

I came across this site while looking for some illustrations on windlasses.

http://www.all-model.com/index.html

It has some e-books that may be useful:

and others Alan