Bottled Ship Builder

Ships In Bottles Books

Gwyl Blaser

I would like to start this by listing some of the books that I have that have influenced my ship building in one way or another.

1. Peter Thorne's   Ships in Bottles.  This one is what gave me my start in the hobby

2. Joop Van Schouten  Sailing In Glass.  Lots of good ideas and patterns for the budding SIB builder

3. Donald McNarry's   Shipbuilding In Miniature.  This book is helping me really step up my game in quality and detail

I have many other books but would like to here of the books that you have and a little about them.

Gwyl

• 2 weeks later...

Don Hubbard's book Ships in Bottles is an excellent book.  

Also Story of Sail by Verez Laszlo and Richard Woodman is a must have when it comes to plans.  It has 1,000 great plans from ships of all ages and cultures.  Makes for great research and a great place to look for ideas.  Also the plans are all 1:300 to 1:400 so they're already bottle size.    

Edited by DSiemens

All of the aforementioned above and I'll add:

• Warships and Naval Battles of the Civil War by Tony Gibbons
  • Ships in Bottles by Guy DeMarco
  • Ships in Miniature by Lloyd McCaffery
  • Sailing Ship Rigs and Rigging by Harold A. Underhill
  • The Golden Age of Sail by David Ross
  • The Ship Model Builder's Assistant by Charles G. Davis
  • How to make a Clipper Ship by E. Armitage McCann

Don Hubbard's book Ships in Bottles is an excellent book.  

Also Story of Sail by Verez Laszlo and Richard Woodman is a must have when it comes to plans.  It has 1,000 great plans from ships of all ages and cultures.  Makes for great research and a great place to look for ideas.  Also the plans are all 1:300 to 1:400 so they're already bottle size.    

Hi DSiemens.  I don't think I have ever heard of that book.  I did find it today on Amazon and put it into my wish list.  I like the idea of lots of plans that are already scaled down.

Gwyl

All of the aforementioned above and I'll add:

• Warships and Naval Battles of the Civil War by Tony Gibbons
  • Ships in Bottles by Guy DeMarco
  • Ships in Miniature by Lloyd McCaffery
  • Sailing Ship Rigs and Rigging by Harold A. Underhill
  • The Golden Age of Sail by David Ross
  • The Ship Model Builder's Assistant by Charles G. Davis
  • How to make a Clipper Ship by E. Armitage McCann

Hi Chasseur,  I have the ones by Guy DeMarco, and Lloyd McCaffery.  They are good books.  I will be looking up the others and adding them to my wish list also.

Thanks guys.

Gwyl

I would add Jack Needham's "Modelling Ships in Bottles".  His clipper was my second ship and his Long John Silver was my one and only figure in a bottle. My first book and ship was Don Hubbard's.  I did a few from Demarco and Van Schouten, the ship in a light bulb method from Thorne and the "Collier Brig" in Leon Labistour's book "Making Ships in Bottles, Beginners to Advanced " (great for vertical bottling because the hull is short in length).

The most valuable books in my library have been all those by Howard I. Chappelle, specifically

The Baltimore Clipper

History of the American Sailing Ship

History of the American Sailing Navy

The Search for Speed Under Sail

American Sailing Craft

American Small Sailing Craft

American Fishing Schooner

National Watercraft Collection.

Many of the these have been republished and used copies aren't hard to find.   All have excellent plans that can be reduced (or enlarged?) for good models.  Chappelle's work has drawn criticism from many scholars but none can deny the volume and range of his contribution to maritime history.

Alex,

I have previously checked out a few that are on your list from the library.  I especially enjoyed  The American Fishing Schooners.  Some on you list I have not heard of, that I remember.  I will have to make a list and go searching for these titles.  

Gwyl

post-23-0-61527300-1426861180_thumb.jpgGwl,

The two on smaller craft may be a little harder to find.  Here is a pinky I have made at least 7 models of from the plans in Small Sailing Craft. 

This was before bottling her.  I tried some of the pictures of finished models but kept getting the message "File too big to upload"  Maybe I'll figure it out.

Alex

Thanks Gwyl,

I tried a couple of the pictures of the completed model but the files are too big.  This pinky and two others were published in May/June 2010 Ships in Scale article "Bottling Pinkys".  They are also on my website, atlanticshipinbottle.com.  It is perhaps less professional than others because I did all the photography.  I am considering adding a bibliography to the site and comments here may be helpful.

As a retired bookstore manager, I encourage you to try all other alternatives BEFORE Amazon.  But if nothing else works out, it's still best to get the books!

Alex

Alex,

Sorry you were unable to upload the photos.  I did some backend changes to the system settings.  It should now allow much larger photos/images to be posted.  Give it another try.  

I checked out your website also.  Very nice work.  I added a link to your site on our links thread, so down the road it will be easier for members to find the link.

I agree with you concerning local bookstores.  Sadly, most of our local bookstores have sucumbed to internet progress.  Once in a while, I make it to Salt Lake City, and can shop the local bookstores there with some success. 

Gwyl

• 1 month later...

I just received my copy of Bob Wilson's new book "Miniature Shipbuilder 2015".  This is literally hot off the press.  My initial thoughts on this book are,   1) Nice full size,   2) Printed on a gloss type paper,   3) lots and lots of full color photos throughout, and   4) Very well written (158 pages).  Although Bob does not build SIB's, his ships are small and loaded with very fine scale details, and this book should help any ship builder, (especially SIB builders) with construction techniques and new detail ideas.  

You can find Bob's book on his web site http://www.miniatureships.blogspot.com

Gwyl

post-1-0-25201700-1432006924_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I ordered the "Ship Models in Glass" from Hille and Young via the link that Alan provided.  Wow, it's an amazing book!  I've only had a few minutes to flip through it, but it seems incredibly comprehensive.  I have probably half a dozen other SIB books, but this one looks like it could be the bible of them all. 

There's about 150 pages of in-depth, how-to instructions - here are the chapters:

1.  Techniques

2.  Tools of the Trade

3.  Materials

4.  Bottles, Stands, & Embellishments

5.  The Sea

6.  Seascapes & Dioramas

7.  Hulls

8.  Fitting out the Deck

9.  Masts & Spars

10.  Rigging the Model

11.  Sails, Flags & Flag Lore

12.  Books, Plans & Nautical Terms

There are also four projects in the book, so fewer than maybe some of the other books out there, but very detailed instructions.  Finally, there are a few appendices on suppliers, pattern sheets (sails, flags and detailing), and a bibliography.

I now have Schooner Sunset and am thoroughly enjoying it. It's an ILL so it's got to go back mid September. On another note I did a deal with Charlie B for Underhill's book Masting & Rigging the Clipper Ship and Ocean Carrier. I built a kit for Charlie to model a Pilot Cutter and sent it to him in the post. He reciprocated and sent me my second book that I now own by author and illustrator Harold A. Underhill. I am officially starting a collection of all of his books.

post-21-0-91430000-1440207109_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-97741200-1440207129_thumb.jpg

I hope to get into the Man Cave this Sunday after church and do some work on the Preussen .... Jeff :D