Bottled Ship Builder

Mayflower

Donald

With this social isolation, and being newly retired, I thought I would launch into a new build. I bought some "plans" off ebay of the Mayflower for $5.00. Basically a few sheets of paper with some good information, ...but it's in German. At any rate I knew this ahead off time and just needed the basics to start. 

20200321_170449.thumb.jpg.e46b179231157d7bc48ee68178fbb86b.jpg

20200321_170607.thumb.jpg.69afda857594f01d2522bdbfecc49af2.jpg20200321_170409.thumb.jpg.28f3de84512029ab8f8c9f2b469785fc.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

One step forward, two steps back. Made what I thought was a binnacle on the plans, until I realized they were not yet invented during the reign of the Mayflower. I also broke the rails on the upper deck so I will leave that for a little later. I managed a capstan, some stairs and a bit more grating.

20200407_122504.thumb.jpg.22a045084b276db5f16308ae753633bb.jpg

20200407_122657.thumb.jpg.998d3e128b51b89dbc2d33698121a1b8.jpg

Looking for some constructive thoughts or input here. I've been trying to be logical about how this is going to get into the bottle. Here is my plan.  I want to use pins for the three masts to swivel up on. Since the hull is split at the center, I'm obligated to a one sided pin for the masts.

20200412_200257.thumb.jpg.72e50c71ddd9087a306edcc5f2d707ce.jpg

Once in the bottle and the two halves are put together, I would raise the masts as normal. Once temporarily secure with lines sorted and untangled I would place the two top side halves in. Carefully placed together they will hug a fair bit of the foremast and mizzenmast, while the mainmast will have the only visible pin, ...on one side.

20200412_200512.thumb.jpg.621bb00d9a5fa3eb3e215bd98cfc6b4a.jpg

20200412_200337.thumb.jpg.5ac076431e1da3f3a02ea6f1bb5ba17b.jpg

Once the topsides are together I want to place ratlines etc. with pins attached, to mate with the hull.

20200412_200351.thumb.jpg.ed839fd248ee598e93b1786718c513a1.jpg

Wondering if this sounds like a viable solution? I know it won't be easy,  but that's what makes it challenging. 

20200412_200807.thumb.jpg.91a16377ec1179356b9d64cdcbff98cf.jpg

Hello, Spanky. I see you’re considering pegging the channels to the hull with the ratlines already secured. That idea would save a lot of individual line adjustments inside the bottle. So the careful adjusting would need to be done on the outside. I’m interested to see how you proceed. Looking good!

David

With regards to pinning the ratlines to the side of the hull I have a friend who uses this method for his ships but uses only two pins to fix them in place. I could say it looks a bit fiddly method but then again I have never tried it myself. 

Cutting the hull down the centre line does create problems with the fixing of the masts later on. I have a feeling that if you use just wire on one side to fix the masts then they could swing around all over the place. I usually cut down the centre line but scoot around the mast areas so leaving that area solid and insert a complete deck over the cut to hide it,in other words a false deck. That really needs to be planned for at the beginning of the build though!

I split mine off centre, usually with the stem and stern  piece on the starboard side so any less than good joints are on the 'offside'. I've used the fixing the chainwales in the bottle method once, and I'm still trying to get the last one in place 2 and a half years later. I would use control lines to pull them into position if I ever use this way again. As has been said, its all a learning curve.

Stay safe.

4 hours ago, Onni said:

With regards to pinning the ratlines to the side of the hull I have a friend who uses this method for his ships but uses only two pins to fix them in place. I could say it looks a bit fiddly method but then again I have never tried it myself. 

Cutting the hull down the centre line does create problems with the fixing of the masts later on. I have a feeling that if you use just wire on one side to fix the masts then they could swing around all over the place. I usually cut down the centre line but scoot around the mast areas so leaving that area solid and insert a complete deck over the cut to hide it,in other words a false deck. That really needs to be planned for at the beginning of the build though!

I am guilty of taking off on this one without having a real solid plan. That is  a great idea, scooting around the mast with the initial cut. I am slightly concerned with movement of the pins as well. I think though if I notch the wood slightly and the glue it in, it may be stable enough. The fore and mizzen will only have to be secure enough until the top sides are clamped around them. As far as the ratlines, I was going to search through here and see what has worked best for folks and take that tack. Two pins would be easier I think.  Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

2 minutes ago, exwafoo said:

I split mine off centre, usually with the stem and stern  piece on the starboard side so any less than good joints are on the 'offside'. I've used the fixing the chainwales in the bottle method once, and I'm still trying to get the last one in place 2 and a half years later. I would use control lines to pull them into position if I ever use this way again. As has been said, its all a learning curve.

Stay safe.

Makes much more sense to split off center, point taken there. you're scaring me a bit with your prior chainwale troubles. I originally planned on no pins, but pulling masts into place with threads run under the hull. I actually have the underside of the hull hollowed out so it's possible to do some alternatives. I just have to figure out what that is. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.