Bottled Ship Builder

CSS Alabama

Onni

9 hours ago, Bruce Foxworthy said:

Onni:

Your prowess in this creation just blows my mind. It will certainly turn out to be another wonderful example of your skills in replication of a famous ship.. Thanks for showing all the steps you are engaging in to make it. I'm especially fascinated with your use of the plastic sheeting. Can't wait for your next installment.

regards Bruce.

Thanks for the compliment Bruce. Ships from this era hold a certain amount of fascination for me ; the combination of sail and steam is enough for me to get suitably enthusiastic about a project and if it's a historic ship, then it's an added bonus. 

Continue with the making of some of the deck items.There are two large breech loading cannons of 110lbs and 68lbs(according to wikipedia) the larger one of the two is positioned between the mizzen and main mast.Fabricated some air vents but later on I thought that they looked a little bit too large for the scale of the ship so I will make some new smaller versions.Added a couple of pipes to the funnel.Making lifeboats is a chore for me;just carved basic shapes and hollowed them out with a drill bit which looks like a dentist's torture instrument. Davits are constucted using 0,3mm steel wire which is very springy.Later on discovered that I also made those wrongly as they should be designed to fix to the outside of the hull.(More about that later!) Built the bridge out of a thin gauge veener but it just looked too big and clumpy so remodelling it in plastic;much easier.

IMG_20200129_190252.jpg

IMG_20200129_190257.jpg

IMG_20200130_090223.jpg

IMG_20200130_194403.jpg

IMG_20200205_113010.jpg

IMG_20200205_124442.jpg

IMG_20200206_131710.jpg

IMG_20200206_190154.jpg

IMG_20200208_114418.jpg

IMG_20200208_190700.jpg

The stand has evolved into this. I intend to place the name under the flag. Cut out the flag shape from plywood,sanded it down and painted it. Those stars were difficult to do! Mark on the flag is a reflection from the light. Font painting is a bit tricky too. I like to try to do everything by hand instead of just printing things out.(You can tell its hand painted😣)

IMG_20200213_193936.jpg

IMG_20200213_193953.jpg

IMG_20200217_194806.jpg

The 'sea' is made from plasticine coated with white wood glue and left over night to dry. Next day I paint it with acrylic paints and allow it to dry. Drying time is quite fast so then I give it another coat of wood glue which dries to a nice glossy finish. The underside of the plasticine is untouched so it will stick fairly well inside the bottle but anyhow I intend to insert and glue the hull down first and insert the sea after, so in a way the hull of the ship is not reliant on being squashed into plasticine to hold it in place. I will have to cut the 'sea' in half to get it through the bottle neck and then join the two half's together around the hull of the ship.

IMG_20200228_143411.jpg

Onni:

Saying that you will glue the hull down on to the glass first? What glue do you use to glue it to the glass?

So in this picture the bottom of the hull must be touching the paper here and there is enough open room around the hull  and the sea material to complement that glue??  And after you cut the sea in half and go to slide it down the bottles neck, how do you keep the clay from getting on the glass? Like a paper collar around the neck maybe? And is the dried wood glue and acrylic paint on top of the clay make it stiff enough to not bend or crack that half of the sea as it's going in?

I know a lot of questions.

Regards Bruce

Maybe you could take some pictures and post them as you do this process. I like the whole concept.

2 hours ago, Bruce Foxworthy said:

Onni:

Saying that you will glue the hull down on to the glass first? What glue do you use to glue it to the glass?

So in this picture the bottom of the hull must be touching the paper here and there is enough open room around the hull  and the sea material to complement that glue??  And after you cut the sea in half and go to slide it down the bottles neck, how do you keep the clay from getting on the glass? Like a paper collar around the neck maybe? And is the dried wood glue and acrylic paint on top of the clay make it stiff enough to not bend or crack that half of the sea as it's going in?

I know a lot of questions.

Regards Bruce

Maybe you could take some pictures and post them as you do this process. I like the whole concept.

Hi Bruce. I use an epoxy resin glue which is in two different tubes which when mixed together produce a chemical reaction to form the actual glue. Have to work pretty fast when using it because it goes off fairly quickly.

Regarding the sea I usually fold it in on itself so that none of the sticky plasticine is actually touching the bottle when it goes in. If it does then I wipe it off with a lightly damped tissue or cotton wool. I'll try to remember to post pictures later.

Just remembered to make some 0,3mm  metal loops for tying some of the rigging too. Snip the ends off as short as possible under the deck and superglue. After the glue has dried sufficently I sand it down as much as I dare so when it is fitted back on to the main hull the decking will be hopefully fairly flat.

IMG_20200219_085603.jpg

IMG_20200219_085611.jpg

IMG_20200220_095855.jpg

I did not come up with this jig Bruce.Sorry to say that i'm not that clever! I have lifted it from the Swedish ships in bottles web site. I think I posted a link to it before but anyway here it is again : http://www.flaskskepparna.se/bygga/bygga valknop.htm

It's not that difficult to follow the instructions, as the pictures really are pretty clear and easy to follow. (Don't ask me to translate!)😎

I would recommend making the one on the left hand side that has six screws on either side and offset numbering 1-6. This will give you a turks head with up to at least three weaves as per the one in my own picture. Diameter of the wood of course depends on your bottle neck size but the turks head can be adjusted for size after you've completed it. I would say perhaps the diameter of a broom handle and maybe around two and a half inches long will be sufficent. Hope this helps.

Jig.jpg

Edited by Onni
Spelling

In my haste to start putting her in the bottle I forgot to take a picture of all the components(pieces)that go to making her up. Oh well! Start with the port side because I know it fits alright because it's narrower than the starboard side. Pieces fit together well and I'm not even going to glue them because the rest of the hull and decking will hold it all together when they are glued.(I hope).

IMG_20200220_141447.jpg

IMG_20200220_141455.jpg

IMG_20200220_141509.jpg

IMG_20200220_141820.jpg

IMG_20200220_141832.jpg

10 hours ago, James w rogers said:

couldn't you cut that sticky out bit off and then glue it back on in the bottle? 

Nah,didn't want to do that;its the piece that supports the main mast. In the end I just closed my eyes and pushed it in.:rolleyes: As luck would have it, just one of the davits came off and was actually pretty easy to glue back on.Had to do a bit of touch up painting on it.

IMG_20200220_142601.jpg

IMG_20200220_142609.jpg

IMG_20200220_143641.jpg

IMG_20200220_151844.jpg

The inside view of the starboard side looks as though its not sitting flush because that is the area I had to cut away a bit more material but it is flush on the outside of the hull where it matters. Last photo is the two sides mated and glued together with white wood glue. When that fully dries I will glue the completed hull to the glass.

IMG_20200220_151852.jpg

IMG_20200220_151856.jpg

IMG_20200220_155525.jpg

Okay,time to glue the hull in place. Which epoxy;60 minutes or the five minutes setting time? Yeah you probably guessed it, 5 minutes for me; I want things done quickly!Just got to make sure that its in the right place;quite a hot chemical reaction is felt through the glass! After its set I add the plastasine in two seperate pieces through the neck of the bottle. Even with dried wood glue on the top which gives the sea a nice gloss ,it dosen't crack,in fact its actually a bit rubbery. Then I continue to tamp the modelled sea down all around the hul especially at the stern because after I fix the stern piece on, its gonna be virtually impossible to reach that area without damaging something.Next stage will be to glue the stern in place.I will only be able to have one shot at it!

IMG_20200220_181805.jpg

IMG_20200220_183109.jpg

IMG_20200220_184248.jpg

IMG_20200221_083330.jpg

Edited by Onni
Spelling

Managed to get the stern piece seated properly;quite pleased with that! Glued a deck winch and then inserted and glued the mizzen mast in place. Sails and flag are made from one of my old white shirts:lol: Last photo shows close up of the deck,cannons,hatches etc...One thing to say about threading rigging lines through the small deck eyelets; it can be quite frustrating, bit like threading a needle but doing it inside a bottle!

IMG_20200221_084213.jpg

IMG_20200221_090442.jpg

IMG_20200221_100241.jpg

IMG_20200221_100252.jpg

IMG_20200221_102424.jpg

IMG_20200221_124550.jpg

IMG_20200221_124612.jpg