Bottled Ship Builder

Build box

I'm interested in building a box, or jig, or platform from which to build SIBs. I've seen a few in build logs and could use some advice. Curious if you folks have any pictures, pros, cons, tips,  things that make life easier when building etc. Thank you!

Here's a couple of jigs. Put the ship on either end. Whichever is easiest to work on at moment. Run lines through finger slices of 3 x 5 card (movable) to keep them organized. 

Very portable. Kitchen table, workbench, one room to another. 

I have a fishing tackle box for tools and some metal cookie tins for other important items (and they all are). 

Best regards, Jeff

image.jpg

1 hour ago, Jeff B said:

Here's a couple of jigs. Put the ship on either end. Whichever is easiest to work on at moment. Run lines through finger slices of 3 x 5 card (movable) to keep them organized. 

Very portable. Kitchen table, workbench, one room to another. 

I have a fishing tackle box for tools and some metal cookie tins for other important items (and they all are). 

Best regards, Jeff

image.jpg

Thanks Jeff. I've painted a few flies but never tied them. Steal their box for SIBs?20200116_215453.thumb.jpg.79dd31ad6c7726af125864b6d951b1f7.jpg

This one comea from Don Hubbards book Ships in Bottles.  Whats good about this is it raises the ship up. One of the problems I've had is builing looking down at the model gives me a bad neck ache.  Raising the ship up helps that.

0116202112.thumb.jpg.3d4735960312e1e11b3583c1e0aae4e2.jpg

0116202112a.thumb.jpg.0eebd90d6561424c544591187eda957b.jpg

I did my own variation.  You can see it in this article. https://piratesurgeon.com/pages/other_pages/mercury_bottle1.html

Basically the same but in a box.  I needed to transport my ship to model ship meetings and having it in a box was useful.  The top of the box is very high so the masts fit inside. 

11 hours ago, DSiemens said:

This one comea from Don Hubbards book Ships in Bottles.  Whats good about this is it raises the ship up. One of the problems I've had is builing looking down at the model gives me a bad neck ache.  Raising the ship up helps that.

0116202112.thumb.jpg.3d4735960312e1e11b3583c1e0aae4e2.jpg

0116202112a.thumb.jpg.0eebd90d6561424c544591187eda957b.jpg

I did my own variation.  You can see it in this article. https://piratesurgeon.com/pages/other_pages/mercury_bottle1.html

Basically the same but in a box.  I needed to transport my ship to model ship meetings and having it in a box was useful.  The top of the box is very high so the masts fit inside. 

I like that jig. I think I have enough material to create this jig, after busting up my 2 jigs. 😀

Thank you gentlemen. Daniel, I saw a picture of your box in another build and really liked it. The portability factor I like a lot. The Don Hubbard jig I like as well. I was given a nice wooden box with a liquor in it for being in a friend's wedding. The box is just the right size and strength so I think I will try and incorporate some ideas here and mate them with the box. I'll see what I can conjure up. 

20200120_141133.jpg

20200120_141114.jpg

I could see that working really well.  Maybe take out the middle dividers and you could fit a Hubbard jig in it.  That may give you more flexibility than my treasure box design.  The problem I had was once masts get over a certain point I was unable to close the box.  I think that was the case for my Scavenger build. I think you could lay a Hubbard jig on its side with the ship in tact and the box would still protect it.  You would have to make sure the jig is secured in the box so if it turned over the weight of the jig is not resting on the masts.   The length of the box might give you more space for taller models.  Shoot I may just build me one of these.