Bottled Ship Builder

Terminology Help

RSmith

Hi guys, I wanted to know if there was a place on the forum that explained all the different terminology used in ship in a bottle building? I looked around and didn’t see any, maybe I missed it. If you don’t have log for it where could I go online to help straighten me out on all these new terms. Thanks in advance. Rick

I found the thread again.  The rigging primer is in the comments theres a zip file and a pdf.  I'll post a link here so people can circle back to that thread.

Some forums get uppity about re discussing things and insist you go back to the old conversation which they then leave up to you to find. I think that's annoying and unhelpful.  I've also found we get new information every time we discuss something so if any one wants to add to the conversation they can use this thread or another thread.  Linking threads and having several discussions I think helps up the chances of people finding what they need anyway.  

Some suggestions. The first two are excellent beginners books. Leon's has a number of plans. Both available second hand.  The third covers just about everything and is best obtained from the publisher www.skipper.co.uk  at £35,  as some of the web sites prices such as Amazon  are fairly outrageous.

Cheers

Alan

Slide2.thumb.JPG.c0f31ef65dd044a61627ca35c362d88f.JPG

Slide7.thumb.JPG.6b4d1aac79a9b915d9a3d49951a384fb.JPG

Slide1.thumb.JPG.046614c67f82fcd0007ccfe36f545907.JPG

I believe that is the older version of the Thorne book I have. It is basic, but still worth a read.

Leon Labistour's book is very good to start with. Its in A4 format and it shows basic tools and materials, methods, and has a number of plans from a two mast collier brig to the 4 mast clipper shown on the cover. As I said its still out there second hand at a reasonable price (Amazon UK, starting at £ 5.50 to expensive, US prices range from double that to ludicrous). Leon also produced a video to go with it. Unfortunately he died before completion, but it was finished by his wife. It is available as a DVD, lasts about 1 and a 1/4 hrs. I can probably help you get a copy of the DVD if you want. It is worth watching, and its not outrageously priced.

Best

Alan