Bottled Ship Builder

The Museum Of Knots & Sailors' Rope Work

Chasseur

Hello all,

The Old Salt Blog by Rick Spilman has a wonderful video of a Museum created by Des Pawson,

http://www.oldsaltblog.com/ 

Des is a fascinating Old Salt/Curator of a museum he had constructed to further the lost art of rope building etc. By far IMHO, he is probably the best subject matter expert on the Planet. If you are a fan of Ashley's Book of Knots this a must watch video.

Your Editor in Chief 

• 1 month later...

That was great! My Dad has been gone for years but this was his hobby, he had a huge hardcover Ashleys book of knots and would spend hours doing real old school knots etc.. He took a lot of pride in his ropework and would talk with anyone who would listen. He had all kinds of special rope knives and splicing tools. He was an engineer for Gray Marine, then plant manager for Chris Craft engine division in the late 60s. My Dad would literally have booked a trip to the U.K. just solely for this little museum. Really sparked some great memories from my childhood, thanks for posting.