Bottled Ship Builder

Ship in Bottlers

Alex Bellinger

Over the years people often ask if this is a dying art and if there are fewer of us out there doing it.  People writing into Bottle Shipwright often said they thought they were the only one left!  Experience has certainly shown this is not the case.  Here I want to introduce two ship in bottlers I have known and worked with for years. 

First is Gerry Ross, who lives on Cape Cod and regular teaches ship in bottling classes at the Woods Hole Museum.  He and I see each other only during the Woods Hole Boat Show when we set up a table together and regale visitors with tales of glory and adventure as ship in bottlers.  One of the things great about working with Gerry is he never grows tired of answering, "How do you get them in there."  Here he is demonstrating to a family at the Woods Hole Show last weekend.

post-23-0-53012700-1429620421_thumb.jpg

For the past two shows we have been joined by Tony Colton, a ship in bottler from Quincy, Mass.  Tony and I have known each other for years through the ship model club at the USS Constitution Museum.  Tony is also active with the Fletcher Class destroyer in the Boston Navy Yard,  Cassin Young.

post-23-0-22786400-1429620603_thumb.jpg

Hi Alex,

I appreciate these types of posts/stories, as they help us all be a little better at sharing our story, passion, and experience with others.  I bet it is a pleasures to sit at a table with builders like these two.  I would imagine the stories, tip, and tricks that these two gentlemen share are invaluable.  I really like the show of passion that Tony displays on his belt buckle.  Great story and wonderful photographs.  Thanks for sharing.

Gwyl

• 4 months later...

I find I must disagree with Alex in respect to building ships in bottles as a dying art. Unfortunately I find it is. People have little respect and understanding as well as appreciation for this art. As membership chairman and president of The Ships In Bottles Association of America and engaged with other members worldwide our ranks are thinning and fewer people are bottling ships. I have painstakingly made numerous attempts to contact many periodicals and historic organizations to get exposure and have received few replies. In fact several months ago in our association journal an offer was made for a one year subscription to our association for a family member or friend who is genuinely interested in the hobby. I have yet to receive any inquiries. All made possible by a benefactor.. I have urged all members to become "teachers" of the art. To pass along their knowledge to others.

This is surprising.  Just yesterday Heather Rogers welcomed four or five new builders to the Ship in Bottlers FB group.  I have been active with three local ship model groups where there are ship in bottlers as well as me, and we are all welcomed and respected.  Last year two museums approached me about doing special exhibits on ships in bottles. When one of the clubs does something active in the community, some one always asks, "Do you put them in bottles?"  Ship in bottle classes I have given over the past 25 years have been well attended and often brought active ideas and imagination.  I have learned as much as the students through them.  Gerry, pictured above, regularly offers classes on the Cape.  Tony, also above, demonstrates at the Constitution Museum weekly.   Participating in maritime festivals I meet people who are always interested.  I skipped the two Salem, Mass festivals last month, the first time in years, and was told by the organizer many asked for the "boat in bottle" guy. 

Getting more attention or respect may be uphill, but I'm sure it's like that for any specialty.  There always seems to be a fair mix of folks who are interested and those who could care less.  I honestly believe we are more active than ever before and doing better work.  If we make the best models we can and enjoy doing it, this is the best way of earning respect and favorable attention. 

There are many folks on Facebook who " follow" the art but are not shipwrights who practice it. Over the years membership in the only

ship in bottle association in The United States has drastically changed. In 1996 the association saw a high of 252 members. Nineteen years

later in 2015 our ranks have dropped to a mere 152. One hundred members lost either from interest or have passed on.

Hi there,

I suspect that a lot  of people take the easy option of joining a forum like this instead of an association. I'm a member of EASIB (see links). Yes, there is a membership fee, but there is the personal contact of a biannual convention, a quarterly magazine 'Bottleship' (full colour hard copy, (yes I spelled colour correctly), with a PDF backup if required). I think that as the post war 'baby boomers' as we are known this side of the pond retire, then more will take up the hobby after looking for something to do.

PS; Bottleneck Treasures, the latest 'Bottleship' issue features some of your outstanding miniature work in an article (including a link to your wesbsite) and on the front cover. I was amazed at the miniature work. It is better than some of the Japanese work that was shown by some guests from Japan at our last convention.

All the best

Alan

Hi Alan,

From the way you worded your post, I suspect you didn't realize or may have forgotten that Bottleneck Treasures is my company.

Thank you for your kind words in regards to my miniature work. I know you can atest to it because you have a few pieces I sent you.

As Terry Butler often says, photos of these miniatures do not do them justice and must be seen to truly be appreciated. Again thank you

for your kind words.

Regards,

David Lavoie  Bottleneck Treasures       President / Membership Chairman SIBAA

Hi David,

I've PM'd you. I suspect you may be confusing me with another Alan in EASIB over the bottles. 

I'm the EASIB archivist. I'm now going to have a search to see if there are any more phots in the records. May I suggest you post a few pictures here for the others to admire.

Best Regards

Alan