Bottled Ship Builder

Starship Enterprise in bottle

Jeff B

I got it figured out!!!!!!

The disk is going to be similar to the coin in a bottle magic trick. Forgive me for all bartenders,  who try to impress the ladies with slight of hand magic tricks. It folds into thirds. I couldn’t remember the construction method, it had been so long ago. I think I passed the trick on to a protege. I found out, thanks to the inter web.

Gathering supplies, blueprint is to scale. 85 mm long, 45mm wide, 22 mm tall. The disk might be the size of a silver dollar. Im going to mount it on a silver painted toothpick or transparent clear plastic rod, attached to a base. 

Bottle to be a 375mm rum bottle.

F9A1ECD2-6D2D-4D64-934C-62B9920C926F.jpeg

Edited by Jeff B

Gr8 news! I just measured. I can screw up on the fuselage 4 times. I got enough big dowel for 5!

I've got a meter full of engines, can make 2 disks, and of course Popsicle sticks and stirring sticks to last 4 a long time.

I am starting this mission. Boldly going where no man.....

Edited by Jeff B

Great start!  Looking forward to your building log and going into a small bottle.   Have been wanting to build the Trek Enterprise myself, but cannot find a bottle able to hold Capt. Kirk's ego.  Folding the saucer is the way to go   .   Have a diorama in mind of having the history of the Enterprise from schooner, brig, aircraft carrier  to space crafts.  Since my shop is boxed up for an upcoming homestead move, that project and others, are on hold.

Fair Winds,

Jim

Your kind words inspire me. 

As you know, going in the bottle is a "figure of my imagination" at this point. When the house guests ask, "how'd you get that in there?" I can honestly say "magic!" Referring to the magic quarter in a bottle trick. 

Contemplating the rest, struts and engines are going in separately. 

A diaroma Jim? 

Are you staying in NC ?

In the previous photo the fuselage wasn't looking right. I came back to after s couple days. Measured and found it to be 2 mm too wide. 

Some sanding, measuring, filing, measuring, more sanding. Measuring, think I'm there. 

Too much material is better than not enough. 

More to come.

image.jpg

And a flop! Awe SeaBiscuit! 

Can you say "prototype?"

I cut my struts from a coffee stir stick down to half width, per drawing. I cut the slots with my xacto knife at what looked to be the proper angle.

I put them in and couldn't get that angle. At first I had to enlarge the slots a bit, then wiggle, but the angle wasn't happening.

I'm thinking to myself, if I'm struggling outside the bottle... Imagine the trouble I'll have inside! 

So filled in the slots with silicone glue, punched the struts in, set the angle, pulled them out, and let it harden. 

Mean time, I made another one. 

I think I will drill the slot holes with the mini drill, see if if I can get better control of the struts and the angle . 

The struts below have not been cut down to proper size yet.

And then there were 2. 

image.jpg

Edited by Jeff B

Thank you fellow shipwrights for following along. 

Final progress for today. Putting the struts is easier. The engines are off balance. I'm thinking I'm going to have to put glue in every  "hole" prior to going in the bottle.  Silicone glue sounds ideal. More time to fumble with dropping stuff and all 

This is the prototype. No glue just mortise and tenon joints. 

image.thumb.jpg.8edc003d79790e5e19a6941b7a83a933.jpg

image.jpg