Bottled Ship Builder

HMS Dreadnought, 125’ to the Inch

Here are some photos of my progress on my scratch-built, 1/1500 scale HMS Dreadnought, 125’ to 1” at just over 4” long overall. 

The hull was made from boxwood, the deck planked with bass. The balance of the detail is mostly brass, with some styrene, aluminum, and tungsten wire.

The funnel was made from aluminum sheet, and is hollow all the way through. Probably overkill, as I included not only the external piping but internal as well. The handrails are brass, awning stanchions are tungsten wire.

The bridge has a full interior, ship’s wheel, telemotors, binnacle, chart table. They can all be seen through the bridge windows and through the bridge wings. The bridge windows will receive glazing but not until the model is finished and clear coated

Total parts count at the time of this post is 702.

2DCF5F37-9D8F-4901-BA19-F0B7CE7A3255.thumb.jpeg.8b1c3e445755988671a2dbe719cd33cd.jpeg42FAC670-75AE-4E31-8262-14CA5E7874FC.thumb.jpeg.a6ac0287afea1498d3428fd10e2fb36c.jpeg23128FAA-D669-453B-835E-33EF82EED45B.thumb.jpeg.b4d786de8c96bd7b8c3fe0a1b1587222.jpeg8B23042B-3E90-4843-A6F0-5EFE517F556C.thumb.jpeg.9c529c950fc5ae33c3b943c7595f7d29.jpegCBD6DA77-1CB5-4623-9A05-FB1D71727E95.thumb.jpeg.bccc206fdb7a01a1c141d2ac4a82c8e9.jpeg64084DFF-893B-4DC8-A1D4-1DCE70ADCCAC.thumb.jpeg.6648f61c8f7cbc00c8b160bd16533d13.jpeg

Thanks guys!

I use the old shilling because it looks good and it’s a neutral size. I can’t tell you how much flack I get sometimes though! One guy said I was worthless because I didn’t use several internationally known coins for size, and that it was very rude of me. He meant it too. Had to ask him to stop contacting me in the end. It’s just a coin! He hasn’t been the only one though, it’s bizarre.

I've read that complaint before and wondered how can anyone not at least have a pretty good idea of size by that. There is one in the UK that is almost demands that you use a pen instead of a coin. Some people are way to strict on things in their mind and need to loosen up some!

Edited by JesseLee

I believe I am the originator of the pen comparison, but I have never demanded, or even suggested that anyone else uses it!🤐    I choose to use a pen - Joe chooses a shilling - no problem.

If fact I don't understand why so much of a big deal is made of the pen, or the shilling, or anything else.    I only have to leave it off, and I am getting asked why!  

Bob

Admirable (Medium).JPG

I miss the 35 mm cans.  My dad was a photographer and we had a plethera of them.  We used to use the snap cartadiges and load our own black and white film.

Yeah I don't know why people get so picky about scale comparisons.  The way the internet is I can take two seconds to find the Scottish shilling has a 23.5 mmm diameter. The US quarter has a 24.26 mm diameter. So slightly smaller than a quarter in the US.  Its not that hard. Besides that I like seeing all the foreign coins.  One of the best parts of ship in bottle building is how international it is. 

The pen is like a signature Bob, some people get comfort from seeing it. I try to use a cutting mat for the background in photos so there is a scale.My wife has just got me a nice very pale blue one as I kept failing to see small black pieces against the green and black of the usual ones.

Unfortunately, the web and forums are haunted by people who take the opportunity via its anonymity to slang off other people, or try and impose their way as the only way. My wife gave up batoring, I think that's how it is spelled, because of the flack she was getting. This was checking authors books for correct English and factual references. Most of the flack came from the USA, unfortunately, from people who would not accept that for example, generally, we in the UK don't eat pancakes with maple syrup for breakfast, nor swing on a seat on the porch to watch the sun go down. No research first. 

However, back to the thread. Some really nice miniature work on the Dreadnought. And that is another super ship Bob. What happened to the real one - 3 years is a short life.

Edited by exwafoo

Wire is such a good material for miniatures.  I'll have to try that out on my boats.

I'ts fun learning about the many materials that can be used. I know another Bob (not the one on out forum) that does steam boat miniatures.  He uses wire and brass as well.  One of the most interesting things he used was some sort of gum.  I want to say guar gum but that's a food so I'm not sure it's right.  Might be Amaco Gum.  Anyway he got this stuff and would drill porthole windows in the side of his ship then take a toothpick and fill the holes with this gum.  It dried clear and shiny and looked like he had installed windows on the tiny portholes. 

Thanks!!!!

It was a pretty straight forward build thankfully, no issues.

I was looking at my extensive collection of ship memorabilia, photos, autographs etc. and I realized I have a photo signed by Felix von Luckner, so next I think I’ll build Seeadler. As good a choice as any.