Bottled Ship Builder

What's on your workbench?

Here is the larger of the three Scottish Maid models I am working  on.  I put the glasses in so you can get a sense of size. The first photo shows the smaller version that has the hull in 5 pieces and the larger one.  

post-1-0-77580100-1425435117_thumb.jpg

The second photo shows the bulwarks.  They are around .75 MM thick.  I will run them thru my thickness sander to get them down to about .25 MM before I install them.

post-1-0-48259300-1425435129_thumb.jpg

The third image shows the masts, boom, and bow sprit.  Still some work to do on the masts.

post-1-0-61147500-1425435141_thumb.jpg

Both, kinda. The hull and each deck are individual pieces and also the hull and decks are split in the middle. The hull and decks are hinged so they will fit through the neck and placed inside individually and stacked to build up the boat. My first attempt at this kind of vessel and learning from my mistakes (I hope).

Gwyl your five piece split has me intrigued. I've done a split hull with two pieces but not more than that. Will you set up a build log for that ship? I'm interested in how that will work out. Particularity with how the rigging will be done.

Hi DSiemens,  I have actually thought about doing a build log.  That might be the perfect one to start with.  I am still working out all the details but I think I will give it a go.

Gwyl

Here's my current project.  I think I'll send it with a friend to Manitowoc to be in a competition out there.  We'll see if I can get it done in time.  I did a build log for a similar ship that one I gave to a charity auction and I ended up missing it so I'm building another one.  I did a couple different things with this one.  Maily I used cherry darkened with ammonia fuming.  I really like the color deck that gave me.  

20150311_214740.jpg

20150311_214848.jpg

20150311_214947.jpg

The details on this ship are incredible.  On another thread, you mentioned paint for deadeyes etc.  Your deadeyes on this look real small and very scale like.  Are these paint also?  

I also like your build box.  It looks like you can close it up and keep everything together.  It would be great for portability.   

Gwyl

Gwyl,

My hinges are simply pieces of thin transparency tape for all of the upper decks. For the hull I used pegs on one side with matching holes on the other side. The peg arrangement worked pretty good but the hinged decks had a little problem with not laying perfectly flat (one of my lessons learned).

I will try to post photos later.

Thanks for your interest.

Bob J.

Gwyl,

I used thread blocks on that one. On the attachment to the hull I just used bent 30 gauge wire. I'll have to see if I have a good shot of the dead eyes on the Santa Maria I built. I used the paint technique on that one.

The box I built for transport to and from the modeling club I'm in. We have workshops twice a month. It's worked out great.

Edited by DSiemens

DSiemens,

Thanks for the follow up on the deadeyes.  On the one with the bent 30 gauge wire,  are you making a small loop, and passing the shrouds thru the loop?

Question about you modeling club.  Is it ship related, or is it open to most kinds of modeling?  We have many other kinds of modelers in my area, but ships modelers are a rare breed around here.

Gwyl

With the wire I drill two holes in the deck really close together and insert the wire in the holes leaving a very small loop on deck.  The idea is just to secure the stays to the deck.  I then tie down the back stays to the loops.  The dead eyes on the black line that the brown lines pass through are thread blocks made at the end of the black line.  I'll see if I can get some closer pictures.    

My club is the Rocky Mountain Shipwrights.  It is an all boat modeling club.  Mostly large wood models but there is some paper and plastic modelers.  I've gotten a couple people into ship bottling as well.  

Edited by DSiemens

Thanks for the explanation of your deadeyes.  I would love to see some close up photos.

I think we have a very small boat modeling club in Salt Lake City.  Although I have never attended due to the meeting times, I would like to attend sometime in the future. 

Gwyl

I have two projects in progress.

One is of the Chilean Navy School Barquentine Esmeralda in 1/640 scale that I've been working on since October 2012. The model is about 3 1/2 inches X 7 inches (89 mm X 178 mm) and highly detailed.

post-30-0-96136900-1426783571_thumb.jpg   post-30-0-05152500-1426783571_thumb.jpg

Esmeralda under sail and my most recent photo of the model in progress. Click on the thumbnails for larger images.

Details completed or nearing completion but not yet added - and not in the photo - include 3 more boats with davits, 4 inclined ladders from the weather deck to the lower deck, 4 signal guns on the forecastle, 3 hose reels, 18 barrel-like containers in 4 racks for the inflatable life boats, and the flying bridge with radar units on its roof that goes on top of the deck house. I'm working on detailing the 2 rowing boats with floor boards, thwarts, oars, tillers and rudders and the motor launch with similar details including an engine compartment.

I have also started a model of Dan Clapp's world championship hard water racing yacht Insanity in 1/90 scale going into a vertical 2 liter reagent bottle.

post-30-0-90070600-1426784559_thumb.jpg

My plans for Insanity. The black concentric circles are the inside diameter of the bottle and the smallest diameter of the opening.

With only 9 parts and five lines to rig this should be a quick build but still with the highest quality I can produce. I've gotten no further than fabricating the hull components, mast and boom, primed. I plan to use colored casting epoxy for the water and ice.

post-30-0-76886700-1426787800_thumb.jpg

I plan to pose Insanity like this.

I don't intend to reproduce my build log of Esmeralda here, it can be found on Model Ship World, but will post Insanity here soon.

Dave,

I took a look at your build log of the Esmeralda.  Your attention to detail and your techniques are truly inspiring. I have spent quite a bit of time today digesting the information in your build log.

The insanity looks to be a fun build.  I do like the image of Jack Nicholson on the sail.  

I look forward to your build. 

Gwyl

Dave,

I took a look at your build log of the Esmeralda.  Your attention to detail and your techniques are truly inspiring. I have spent quite a bit of time today digesting the information in your build log.

The insanity looks to be a fun build.  I do like the image of Jack Nicholson on the sail.  

I look forward to your build. 

Gwyl

Through their books, Donald McNarry and Lloyd McCaffery showed me ways to accomplish things at small scales that I thought were impossible and just seeing the impossible being done dramatically changed my mind set. The most important lesson I took from them is that nothing is impossible, I just don't know how to do it yet.

There's another lesson I learned very early while building Esmeralda. There was a time when I felt overwhelmed by the quantity and quality of detail I had set for myself and was very discouraged. Then I remembered the punch line of an old joke about how to eat an elephant, "One bite at a time," and divided the project into many little mini-projects and tried to ignore the bigger picture. To use a different metaphor, I ignore the forest and focus on each individual tree. With my attention centered on making each tree as well as I am able, I find that my forest grows, seemingly all by itself.

That image of Jack on Insanity's sail is what first attracted my attention and then how to make that sail. Pretty soon I had the beginning of plans and I was hooked. 

Dave