Jump to content
Bottled Ship Builder
Jeff B

1776 Lexington, Continental Brig of War

Recommended Posts

Tried bulwarks again. Splitting and slicing Popsicle sticks. "Breaking the grain" for the foc'sle. 

I layered up the poop deck.There's  going to be a dark rail above the gun port wall, then a flared rail above the poop deck. 

Struggled again with gun ports. I'm gonna practice painting little squares (Plan C). 

Thanks for reading.

image.jpg

Edited by Jeff B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sanded and repainted. Then decided to cut in with nippers some gun ports. Bad idea. Had to reconstruct.

Decided to try to put in cut gunnels one-by-one. They looked good but we're breaking with handling after dry. 

We all know this hobby has many frustrations and setbacks. Sometimes you gotta walk away, and come back later. 

I cut everything down to beginning, sanded, and started gunwhales again. Going back to old plan. 

image.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aww man, I just realized looking at the photo- some of the top rail is missing!!! 

But then I felt something on the bottom of my barefoot! Top rail!

next assignment: Glue top rail. 

Thanks for reading.

J.

 

 

Edited by Jeff B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know what I've found helps keep the bowsprit in place when you can't drill a hole to put it in is drilling a hole through the top of the bowsprit and out where the bobstay connects to the stem.  I then tie a bob stay line around the base of the bowsprit through the hole and out to the end of the mast.  This way when pressure is applied that pulls the bowsprit up such as tightening stay lines it simultaneously pulls the connection of the bowsprit to the hull down reinforcing the glued connection between the bowsprit and the hull.  Since you already have it glued down you may not be able to tie the line around the bowsprit but you still might be able to use a stopper knot.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today's progress. For lack of nautical term, I made that thing on the front of the bow below the bowsprit by carving the tip of a Popsicle stick.

Painted the bowsprit.

Drilled hole into that "thing, with a #71 bit.

I then cut ran some 3/0 fly tying thread through a chunk of beeswax and tied it around the bowsprit, baking careful note to be sure it matched the plans. I put the knot on the underside and put a drop of cement on it.

I then painted the over the line. Twisted the thread together, threaded a needle and passed it through the hole in the "thing", and tied it off, applying cement. Later, I cut the excess line. 

When there's more me time, I'll paint my 16 gun mounts, in preparation for installation of guns. 

Baby steps. 

Thanks for reading,

J.

image.jpg

Edited by Jeff B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried to drill a hole into the bowsprit with a hand drill and I can't.  I'm using bamboo skewers. I'm wondering about the hinges on the masts.  I might have to bring out the power drill. After an hour and 2 different bits, all I had was a divot. 

So I went with deadeyes.

J.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I soaked the skewers in hot water and left them for a day and a half in the water. I found them much easier to drill. I also put a dab of superglue on the tips prior to drilling the mast top holes and at the mast foot for the hinge, so the wood doesn't crack while drilling. 

image.jpg

Edited by Jeff B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...