Bottled Ship Builder
Sign in to follow this  
Onni

HMS Terror

HMS Terror; together with HMS Erebus were modified Royal Navy ships that attempted to find the North West passage through the ice packs of King William Islands in the Canadian Arctic in 1845.Terror was the first Royal navy ship to be fitted with screw power from a locomotive engine. The expedition failed and unfortunately all the crews of both ships perished. The wreck of Terror was discovered in 2016.

Shaped the hull from some Alder wood and cut and fixed the bulwarks with styrene, overlapping at the bow end with super glue.The prow of Terror was reinforced with metal plates and I have  tried to imitate these with strips of styrene.Added bowsprit and she's ready for painting.

IMG_20190109_111119.jpg

IMG_20190109_111137.jpg

IMG_20190109_133536.jpg

IMG_20190109_185707.jpg

IMG_20190109_185718.jpg

I like to use matt black spray paint as it dries in just a few minutes so you don't have to wait around for it to dry for an age.Marked out the deck and drilled holes where I want the masts and bowsprit to go.The veneer deck will go in as one solid piece. Will carry on with the construction of the masts and slicing the hull into four sections so that all the pieces will be able to go through the bottle neck without any struggle.Masts and bowsprit constructed with a little help from styrene.They will be sprayed matt white.

IMG_20190116_111951.jpg

IMG_20190124_144417.jpg

Cut the hull up into four sections on a small hobby bandsaw that will allow it to be assembled together inside the bottle later on. I make sure that the pieces of the hull can fit together easily and without too much effort and that everything lines up and that the join lines are not that noticeable. Use cut cocktail sticks as pegs for joining, making sure that everything aligns.

IMG_20190116_112014.jpg

IMG_20190116_112038.jpg

Painted the masts and bowsprit and added some ratline rigging to the masts. Fashioned a couple of catheads out of some thicker styrene and also used styrene for the lifeboat supports at the stern.Of course I could use wood but as these pieces are going to be white; then it is much easier too fashion them out of plastic.

IMG_20190223_145230.jpg

IMG_20190223_145236.jpg

IMG_20190223_145242.jpg