Bottled Ship Builder

Hello

Shipbuilder

I didn't have any - more or less made it up!      Someone asked me to build a model of the Medium that some ancestor had sailed in, but I said I hadn't got any plans, so couldn't do it.    They insisted they still wanted one, so I got the dimensions etc from Lloyds register, and just produced a typical flush-decked brig with single topsails and they were happy with that.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Welcome.  I'm glad you found us.  

Your Brig Medium is "delightful" as Alex mentioned!  Please feel welcome here, and we look forward to hearing from you often concerning your builds and projects.  And who knows.....you might even divide to put one or two in a bottle!  ;)

I have also put a link to your web site, in the links thread, so others can see your work.

Gwyl

Thanks John,

I prefer working to plans, but on this occasion, my client desperately wanted it, so I agreed!      I don't take private commissions any more, it got too much of a millstone round my neck in the end!

When it comes to bottles, I would agree with you that most of them are not paricularly clear optically, so can see why you use light bulbs.    May be a problem now they are phasing conventinal bulbs out.       Old radio valves would be another good option, esecially the larger and older types.

Bottled ships is not practical for me.   As I always rig in wire, I could never get it to fold down, and up again without ending up in a mess.    I  like to get as much rigging as I can on, as well, and that would add to the difficulties.

Bob

post-34-0-83969400-1428832400_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shipbuilder

Yeah life got seriously in the way with major renovations on our house, vehicle repairs, I got a new boss < BTW he is awesome and light years better than the last one, and believe it or not working lots of overtime. Today I actually got into the Man Cave and started carving the hull. I have the wooden seas cut and fitted just have to start doing the detail work. Later this week I'll post on the this site as well as MSW. Thanks for asking and I trust all is well with the Wilson clan.

Jeff

Jeff

Glad to hear the Preussen is moving again.     I have not built many models lately, only two last year, where I once managed 12 or 13 per year.   On leaving Model Ship World, my interest declined greatly, and I have been concentrating more on writing recently.     Having now got interested in other things, I doubt if I will ever produce model ships in the numbers that I once did, as it was becoming too much like work.    I am still intersted in the subject though, and enjoy seeing what others are producing.     There are some very high quality ships in bottles on this site, but all rather too fiddly for me to attempt, especially when it comes to four or five masters!

Bob 

• 2 weeks later...

It is polystyrene foam, the white crumbly type that they pack electronic equipment in.   I shape it with a small gas blowtorch with the air intake turned off so the flame is just the strength of a candle flame.    Then it is covered with crepe paper stuck on with white wood glue.     Paint main colour, and add white whilst it i still wet so that it runs.      It is totally unsuitable for ships in bottles, but I only build them in display cases.

Bob