Bottled Ship Builder

I'm finding that I can't edit my own posts to correct typos or re-write vague sentences. I can use the edit button and proceed as if I can edit the post but when I click the "Submit Modified Post" button I get a "No Permission" message. After that the edit button is disabled.

Dave

Edited by Dave Fellingham

Follow-up report on the problem. It only occurs when I try to use the full editor when I edit.

[edit] I still get only one edit then the edit button is disabled.

[2nd edit] if I don't use the full editor i can edit a 2nd time.

[3rd edit] and a third time. Using the full editor seems to be the problem.

Edited by Dave Fellingham

Hi Dave,

The system was set to allow edits for up to 5 minutes after the original post.  It should allow edits regardless of the  full editor or not. I have increased the edit time to 10 minutes.  Try that, and see if that makes a difference.  If not, I may need to put in a ticket to support.

Gwyl

Hi Dave,

No worries my friend.  Almost all forums have a short time limit to edit posts.  Like I mentioned above, I set the time to 10 minutes on this forum, as we have a very friendly group and the conversations are very civil.  This is not so on some larger forums, and especially where the members hide their true identity.  Since we all share a common hobby, and as hobbits, we tend to be a friendly bunch, I don't see a problem with extending the edit time.

Thanks for the heads up on this.  I was worried that something wasn't working correctly. :)

Gwyl

• 6 months later...

Hi Gwyl,

On MSW we don't have a time limit for the general membership to edit their own posts, which is a very handy feature when some folks put Indexes into their build logs so they and others can find "Points of Interest" quickly without having to wade through up to 100 pages of log. (My log for Vulture ran to 107 pages) They need to be able to go back to whichever Post the Index was in to edit it as they progress.

As you said above, this is a small group of friendly people so it shouldn't be an issue. MSW has over 20,000 members (with some pains in the proverbial) and it isn't an issue over there either.

Perhaps you could get the setting adjusted so the time limit disappears altogether? Don't ask me how, I don't know. One of the other Admins did that sort of work.

BTW - as an Admin I could edit any post on MSW, not just my own. I guess the same applies on this site as it would be a very necessary function?

Edited by Dan Vadas

Further to my post above, which I can no longer Edit as the time limit has expired :( :

Removing any restrictions on Editing one's own post also allows those Members obssessed with organisation, neatness and accuracy (like myself :D ) to review and edit any posts that needed doing at any time in the future.