Bottled Ship Builder

Tiny deadeyes

Thanks Alan, same to you!

The deadeyes are small round paper punchings from telex tape.   In years gone by, when I was sending telex messages on a regular basis, I felt that a bottle full of punchings would come in useful at some later date for model making.       I saved a couple of hundred thousand of them!angel   I blackened them by dumping them in black spirit dye. I wound the wire on a frame in groups of three, and stuck the punchings on with spots of white wood glue.    After they were dry, I cut the outside wires off with a scalpel.     I hope to be able to solder the top deadeye wires to the bottom of the wire shrouds.     After they are fitted to the shrouds, I will lightly spray the whole lot black, so they should look better!

I have now set and rigged the four jibs.    This took about 1 hour 30 minutes, but just as I was putting one of the last blocks on, I accidentally knocked it over.    This damaged all the standing rigging under the bowsprit and jibboom.    The only solution was to rip it all off, and re-rig it, as wire, once bent, cannot be straightened when it is glued in position on a model.   This took a further ten minutes to get the model into the condition shown below.   That is enough for today, and I will do a bit of drawing this afternoon.    Day off tomorrow, and on Wednesday, I hope to fit the mainmast,  then set and rig the mainsail and gaff topsail.

Bob

114 (Medium).JPG

Edited by Shipbuilder
Spelling mistake

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...