Bottled Ship Builder
Sign in to follow this  
DSiemens

HMS Wivern by Chausseur

Last night I found my project for SIB Day. It's the HMS Wivern that was a commission for the South during the civil war. The photo is a 1:48 scale model so I will be scaling down to fit it into a commercial light bulb. I hope to finish it by my birthday which is October 4th and coincides with SIB Day so the Preussen is on hold for now. Lord willing I'll make my completion date as it would be a great birthday present to me.

I also have a nice drawing of it with sail and the bulwarks folded down next to the turrets to show how the ship enables a broadside salvo. I'll post that one tomorrow.

Description of a current model:

Scale: 1:48. A contemporary builder’s full hull model of the coast defense ship ‘Wivern.thumb.jpg.01b8843467b4df9830a6bae15c25f660.jpg

Wivern’ (1863) complete with tripod masts and rigging, deck hatches and skylights, capstan, steering wheel and a single funnel amidships. The whole model is mounted on keel blocks on its original wooden baseboard. After the successful appearance of the low-freeboard turret ship ‘Monitor’ in March 1862, the Confederate States, during the American Civil War, ordered two double-turret ‘rams’ from Messrs Laird of Birkenhead. To avoid any political difficulties on the account of British neutrality in the war, these ships were ostensibly sold to Egypt and were actually launched under the names of ‘El Monassir’ and ‘El Toussin’. However, they were later seized by the British government and renamed ‘Wivern’ and ‘Scorpion’. Measuring 224 feet in length by 42 feet in the beam they had a displacement of 2750 tons. The guns in the two turrets were exposed by lowering sections of the hinged bulwarks and the tripod masts replaced most of the standing rigging thus providing a clearer line of fire. The ‘Wivern’ was sent to Hong Kong in 1880, and later in 1901 it was removed from the Navy List becoming a distilling ship and floating workshop until 1919.

I got a chance to open up a light bulb yesterday. My buddy at work has collected various commercial halogen/incandescent bulbs for me. I used the method Greg Alvey talks about on his website to open a bulb with Muriatic acid. Because the inside is of a blown glass that seals a secondary bulb this was quite a feat! I had soaked the socket for 24 hours and then had to bust out the part where it screws into the fixture. Then re-soak to melt out the special glue that holds the socket in place. The glue was nasty, to say the least! Then once that was removed I used my Dremel with a dentist's diamond drill to go around the circumference to saw off the end.

Once the end was removed I had to carefully bust out the filament end and remove the guts. The result is the last picture of the bulb sitting in my lap! I'll have to fabricate a little wooden piece to build up the end of the socket (paint it black and then glue on the metal contact) as that part was destroyed in the process.

DSCN2568.JPG

DSCN2570.JPG

DSCN2571.JPG

Dartmouth NS, across the harbour from Halifax.  From a small place called Metegan.  Acadian by ancestary.  (Cajan  to the Southern US),.  Retired now so lots of time for SIBs

Edited by bluenoser

So here is an update on the HMS Wivern

Located what I could find off of the Internet regarding a deck plan view and couldn’t find anything on a half breadth plan nor sheer.  Next, the best thing was to make an actual half hull model of the ship. I had to scale down and then cut each sheer (starting with the bow) to gather appropriate templates to carve the hull out of some red cedar. I also rebuilt the end of the socket. I turned latter on my mini-lathe out of some cherry hardwood I had kicking around. The last picture shows the socket on the light bulb and it fits perfectly.

Pictures of the process…!

DSCN2572.JPG.5010ee71cfee64c0c8f520277e92e032.JPGDSCN2574.JPG.61c51189055d6037646e61748cf0d4d6.JPG

DSCN2576.JPG.31ac9dcdf97c56654dd5eacf84e19d26.JPG DSCN2577.JPG.0c7dbb235667c740289a08c712d664b1.JPG

DSCN2578.JPG.62a02e3472ca219a78c2c28aa4c64890.JPG DSCN2579.JPG.d5c23a0886c7b19806168a00a2046462.JPG

DSCN2582.JPG.427f9dcad17267849078a67f120c6862.JPG

Started shaping the blank for the hull. Slicing on top to model the folding down of the bulwarks so deck level has to be lower than forecastle and stern area. I also didn't like how my workstation was set up so I re-vamped it with a third-hand assembly and work tray. The tray swivels and is removable to add on other accessories and the whole thing comes off of my bench by removing 1 screw. 😎

I also pre-drilled the masts and funnel locations. The Wivern was quite modern with a mast rake of 5 degrees.

IMG_3312.JPG.4a091991ab5f77f9e26710f7b4d622e3.JPG

Rough blank carved. Have to start the hull detail and carve keel section and hull contour. Also, a fellow on MSW sent me a link to a small boat building slip of which I'll build one of for my little tray. See link  http://www.hobbyzone.pl/en/boat-building-tools/105-small-building-slip.html

IMG_3313.JPG.e15bf6275e4d7ebfa12bece24fa28776.JPG