Bottled Ship Builder

How did you get hooked and who inspired you?

Hey Jeff,

Some great reading from everyone. My story goes back To my grandfather who was an avid whittler. He was one of those that you see sitting on the front porch after everything was done relaxing with a knife and a chunk of wood. As an 8 year old, it seemed like he could carve anything. He gave me my first pocket knife. A yellow handle old timer. I'd give anything to find that knife. One year he made all of us grandkids a SIB for Christmas. Nothing elaborate but still enough to amaze all of us. Being the oldest, I was privy to this beforehand and watched him as he put them all together. Each one in a different bottle. It was literally an amazing site to see as was everyone's surprise when they opened them that Christmas. Soon after, he had passed away and the thought of ship building gave way to all the other things related to adolescence. Off and on something would happen that would bring those memories back, even as stated in another story on here, the 4th pirates movie. But it wasn't until a couple of months ago, when I turned 50 and there was this bottle that that i came across, that looked exactly like the one that my grandfather made for me and I had this overwhelming urge to finally give it a try and see if I can't produce the same memories for my future grandchildren that my grandfather did for me and that has led me here to this website and you good people.

Hey Don that is one awesome story. I too had an old timer years ago. Mine had a two tone brownish handle. They were and still are great knifes. I gave mine to my eldest son when he was 7 years old and we made many small ship models but never put them in bottles. The best thing a Dad can do is leave a heritage and pass it on to the next generation.

Blessing your grandchildren with your time and stories of old are things they shall never forget.

Good on you to get back into the hobby,

Blessings to you and yours and welcome aboard. You will like this group as everyone is kind, knowledgable, and trustworthy!

Jeff

It is something that I never got hooked on!      I am OK with making miniatures in conventional cases, but the thought of the added work and patience that is required to make them fold down and up again really puts me off!     For many years, I have been committed 100% to rigging in wire, and that could never be made to fold down and up again, so I am just an admirer of the work others do in the SIB field.

Bob

• 2 years later...

I noticed that this topic is rather old but what started  me off on building SIB was the mother-in-law. Yeah I know that sounds daft but she returned from London in the 80's with the 'Cutty Sark' in a bottle.

My concern was how much she had paid for this rather tatty ship in a bottle. I told her there and then that I could make a better model than she had bought so she said 'make one then'. 

Needless to say my first attempt was terrible and ended up in the bin but I'd caught the bug and after getting hold of some books on the subject I was away......

Still learning though......... Onni

• 4 weeks later...

As a kid I always had a fascination with naitical folk art & pretty much anything that was encased in glass. Ships in bottles being one example. 

I am fortunate enough to remember some of the old ‘true seamen’ of the town who were regarded as heroes. Visiting their homes with my parents or granparents would be a wonderful experience a bit like wondering arount a curiosity store. Almost every home would have at least one ship in a bottle. 

I was given a lovely piece as a gift from an old fellow from the Morris family. Even today looking at the little schooner fills me with wonder.

Although I am new to this I did manage to build a ‘decent’ SIB that I was happy with. Sadly I did not create a build log. I have posted a photo on the FB page & will do on the forum once I figure out how. 

Atb

Capten

• 3 months later...

Started making plastic models as a kid.  The silver age types...Aurora, Pyro, & Airfix were my favorite.  My sketchbook was filled with ships and seascapes.  At Boy Scout camp, got into wood carving with the handi-dandi-cut-yourself multi-bladed knife I got at the trading post.  Shortly after that, I acquired the First Aid Merit Badge.   Got out of models in high school then picked up wooden kits while in the oil field...worked on RC sailing schooners & some static pieces.  Launched my first RC schooner in an Oklahoma cow pond where dozens of water snakes came up from the deep to see what was on the surface.   Took a break from ships & carved about 100 decoys which I sold.  Returned to making ships & one, the 1807 Hornet,  was accepted into the 200th Constitution model show.  Have made several models for museums since then.  An artist friend suggested that I try a ship in bottle, so I read two books and got hooked.  Sold to a gallery on the Outer Banks and then discovered art shows & maritime festivals.  Am thankful for the various  museums support  over the years.  In preserving this art, one has to learn glass.  That in itself is just a interesting.  The ions in the silica mixture will give the glass color, and Uranium will yield yellow to orange...and it is still hot ! Am slowing down now due to  family genes ( if Mom & Dad wanted to give me something, a T-shirt would had been dandy !!! ).   Still have numerous vessels to build both in and out of the bottle.  Often I ponder, as perhaps others have, if the affinity with ships and sailing is a past-life carryover.  

Cheers & Fair Winds,

Jim 

Edited by Jim Goodwin

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I saw one as a kid on the mantel at a friend's house. The grownups wouldn't let me pick it up to study (I was seven) so I just looked the hell out of it and when I got a chance asked a nautical relative how it was done. He explained that they operated like puppets with the strings threaded through holes in the masts. Something he left out was that the spars had to pivot on the masts, so I wasted a couple of years letting the bottle neck dictate the length of my spars, simply gluing them in place with Duco cement.

TJ

• 2 years later...

Un modo de introducción:

No es posible contar por qué me inicié en esta afición sin contar la historia de un barco llamado Galicia de la empresa española Pescanova, líder en su sector.

En la última etapa de su dilatada vida marinera, Trasatlántica vendió en 1961 a plazos, a la empresa Pescanova, el histórico trasatlántico “Habana”.

El recién nacido Pescanova, que se había planteado metas muy ambiciosas para la pesca de altura, necesitaba un buque nodriza de gran capacidad y la mejor oportunidad surgió con la adquisición del veterano transatlántico,

En febrero de 1962, el transatlántico "Habana" partió de su fondeadero en la ría de Vigo tras la estela del remolcador holandés "Clyde", rumbo a los astilleros ASTANO de la ría de Ferrol, donde fue transformado en buque factoría.

Rebautizado como “Galicia” y con el casco pintado de verde grisáceo claro y la contraseña de Pescanova en la chimenea, el 7 de septiembre de 1964 zarpó en su primera campaña acompañada de diez arrastreros de pesca que se habían construido en el astillero. 

Fruto de la transformación realizada en ASTANO, tenía una capacidad para 3.000 toneladas de pescado en cámaras frigoríficas y una producción diaria de unas 100 toneladas. A bordo, además del procesamiento, congelación y envasado del pescado, también disponía de un taller, una sala de almacenamiento, un hospital y un suministro de agua.

Recordamos haberlo visto durante sus escalas en el puerto de Santa Cruz de Tenerife chorreando óxido por los costados y con un penetrante olor a pescado, propio de su estado. Durante casi once años estuvieron en su función de buque factoría en aguas sudafricanas y en 1975 volvió para su desguace. Permaneció fondeado en la ría de Vigo hasta febrero de 1978, cuando llegó la autorización oficial que puso fin a su dilatada vida marinera.

399273311_El-barco-factora-GALICIA.-Ex-HABANA.-De-la-enciclopedia-del-mar-ALBATROS-copia-750x530.jpg.7c6a3fe0e847e7a79952e91b3455fb2e.jpg

El Galicia fondeado en la ría de Vigo para su desguace

En 1964 su viaje inaugural terminó como estaba previsto en Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Islas Canarias.

El capitán del barco, en representación de la compañía, ofreció una invitación a todas las autoridades políticas, civiles y militares presentes en las Islas junto a sus esposas.

Presentar el barco, mostrar su transformación y ofrecer un aperitivo, eso que aquí llamamos vino español, donde se come más de lo que se bebe... que no es poco.

Afortunadamente, entre esas autoridades estaban mis entonces muy jóvenes padres, mi madre, una mujer de una belleza espectacular, tenía entonces 21 años.

Resulto que un ingeniero oficial de nacionalidad japonesa era constructor de barcos en botella, mi madre quedando asombrada de su habilidad y alabando su paciencia, trabajo y arte, los japoneses sin duda agradecidos y halagados por las felicitaciones de mi madre le di una de sus creaciones

Desde entonces ese barco ha permanecido en la familia y fue objeto de mi devoción.

Tanto la admiré y la contemplé que pronto, desde muy pequeña, comprendí su mecanismo, que es bastante sencillo, así como los materiales que se sacaron.

Determiné que algún día haría uno así... los estudios, las chicas, las motos, el trabajo... todo fue retrasando la determinación, no olvidarla.

Cuando me casé, entre otros regalos de mis padres, llegó el barco a mi casa y con casi 59 años todavía tengo...

726332053_CopiadeIMG_5185.thumb.JPG.fc5318a057181919f5c2e3f97154c6fb.JPG

El culpable de todo...

Lo siento si hay aberraciones léxicas, uso el traductor de Google.

El proceso se me hace dificil, no se si se puede hacer de otra forma pero desde la pestaña de traducir, copio el paso al foro y pego.

Esta historia continuara, les contare el metodo utilizado por el oficial japones, este es un modelo llamativo pero muy facil y basico, ideal para adentrarse en este mundo...

Por.

hola otro dia...

El barco es un bergantín de cuatro mástiles, muy sencillo en su ejecución con una gran limpieza en su diseño, básicamente a base de mirarlo conozco todos los movimientos... los tenía que reproducir en su ejecución, el casco en forma de a cuchillo y ahuecado con gubia, asienta cuatro palos, el ultimo un garfio, todos los demas menos el bauprés son cuadrados... el acabado lija, un simple toque de barniz y pintura roja es lo unico que lo adorna .

Los mástiles fijados con cables al casco son quizás uno de los métodos más comunes y, por supuesto, para empezar lo mejor posible, las velas se fabrican con tela encolada para darles la sensación de ser empujadas por la gana.

Todos los elementos que vemos están fijados a la botella con pintura espesa al disolvente, el fondo, el mar, el paisaje y las olas son todo pintura. Todavía se puede oler a pesar de sus años.

Cabe señalar que con solo cinco líneas, todas en el aire, se monta una vez en su lugar. Más sencillez y tanta elegancia y presencia no es fácil de conseguir.

IMG_5196.thumb.JPG.93f56c1526fae17b7240f631907869fc.JPG

Se agradece la pintura.

En las siguientes dos fotografías, además de verlo con más detalle si os fijáis veréis tres líneas que son las que llevan a su sitio las velas triangulares entre mástiles, salen por un pequeño agujero en el casco por el parte del paisaje que ayuda a que no se vea el artificio.

IMG_5194.thumb.JPG.748c750a4a01fab729f4bba0c6a30357.JPG

El hilo pasa dentro de la bisagra y luego va al agujero.

IMG_5193.thumb.JPG.c3f9125f4baab0de142db133ce9b4547.JPG

Más notable en esta imagen.

También se pueden ver descuidos que han producido algunas manchas y salpicaduras en el cristal, supongo que a esto ayudaría el oleaje del mar, este barco el Galicia navegaba por los océanos Atlántico y Norte.

Pocas bromas cuando se rebela.

He dudado mucho en incluir la siguiente imagen, ya advertí que no soy para nada buen fotógrafo... mi nivel es mediocre, pero ya que está hecho mi intención era que se apreciara el detalle del faro tallado en madera .

IMG_5230.thumb.JPG.7ab2854a3292f2f98544ff07ef42194c.JPG

Uffff... terror.

Para terminar esta mi primera intervención en un post de un colega, una última imagen donde pretendo que observéis el estudio de la maqueta que sitúa el faro y la casa del farero en el hueco entre el mástil of proa y la vela del bauprés.

Nada es casual en esta obra a pesar de su aparente sencillez.

IMG_5203.thumb.JPG.60fcc83d1dbaa48b31a567d0671bead7.JPG

Ahora si me despido hasta luego, anticipando que publicare mi replica del modelo confesando desde aqui, que lo unico que tengo, lo que no he podido desentrañar de este trabajo es el orden con el que llevé el hilo desde el casco hasta el último de los travesaños.

Después de dos o tres intentos de averiguarlo encontré un método que era un atajo pero no es tan limpio como este.

Creo que he conseguido expresar cómo me inicié en este mundo de los barcos en una botella.

Como siempre pido disculpas porque Google me traduce, espero que todo sea inteligible.

Saludos.

Edited by Alvaro004
Centrar imagen.