Bottled Ship Builder

Iron-hulled wool clipper

Shipbuilder

Iron Wool Clipper Wairoa

I am now about to begin the next project.     The Wairoa was completed in 1875 by Palmer's of Newcastle, for the New Zealand Shipping Co.    She was an iron-hulled full-rigged ship of 1,057 gross tons, with a length of 204.1 feet and a beam of 34.2 feet.

The model is to be built at a scale of 32 feet to 1 inch, and is to be shown under full sail in a calm sea.

I have prepared the plans and selected the wood.    The hull will be 6.37 inches long on the waterline.    I do not have the skill to put it in a bottle, so it will be enclosed in an acrylic display case.

Bob

1 (Medium).JPG

A couple of years ago, I took to drawing them myself.   This came about because of the difficulty in obtaining permission to use plans in articles and books without incurring extortionate charges.     I draw them on large pieces of white card.   The Wairoa plan is 27 by 24 inches.      I then photographed it and shrank it down to 32 feet to 1 inch.    I added the lettering and the colouring on the computer using Adobe Photoshop.     The final plan is printed on an A4 sheet.   

Bob

West Lothian - Final with lettering (Small).jpg

Edited by Shipbuilder
Correcting spacing

The deck fittings will be made from bits & pieces of wood and plastic.   The deck machinery will be brass and fine copper wire.     I don't know what you mean by "chattels!"       It is all explained in my download or CD disk that I am pretty sure you have:     Link

It is all pretty simple when compared to the Preussen!    Here is a similar wool clipper, the Phasis, same scale, 32 feet to 1 inch.

Bob

Phasis (Small).JPG

I have now made the three masts, and given them their light spray of red oxide primer.    After they are fully dry, they will be sprayed their final colour.    I have not started the hull yet, but that will be the next task.    The display case has now been assembled, and the sea base cut and bordered.    The things sticking out on either side of the topmast heads are the topmast spreaders for the standing rigging.   These will be trimmed off after the standing rigging is in position.

Bob

4 (Large).JPG

Yes, it is all to the correct scale.    I prepare the sheer first by sticking a thin sheet of wood to the top of the basic block, (glueing it only in the middle at first), and building up the ends to the correct height by holding the block against the plan and inserting thin slices of wood.   Then I paste a plan view on top and cut it out.   Next, the scored deck goes on, and  the raised poop and forecastle decks are fitted on top of that.    Metal inserts will be fitted in the ends to get the correct shape of the clipper bow and counter stern.

Here is a Utube presentation of the building of the barque Svaerdstad, same scale  https://youtu.be/eNgATFUqBLA

Sheer and plan cutting (Medium).jpg

Edited by Shipbuilder
Added link

Friday. 9th September, 2106

I have now made some more progress, and the hull is now almost ready for rigging.   Four more boats need to be made and fitted.   Forecastle rails, catheads, anchors and a few other bits and pieces still need to be done.   I seem to be taking forever on this one, but slowly geting there.

27 (Medium).JPG