Bottled Ship Builder

Interesting technique seen in an old photo

Browsing pinterest.com I came across this shot of two sailors building models underway on a sailing ship. The guy on the right, sitting on what appears to be a snatch block, is building a ship in a bottle it seams to me, and he is using a technique I have never seen or heard of before. He has the model on a virticle  dowel or peg with a pin or a nail of some sort stuck into the keel of the model. The peg appears to be unsuported and I think its stuck into the deck with another nail or pin ( the mate will be angry about that) or in an existing small hole?

The controll lines descend from the model and are made off underneath on the dowl. It strikes me as a good way to work and locating the propper line would be easier using this rig than it is on the traditional horizontal cross out-of-the-bottle building ways since the lines emerge from the hull under the mast they originate from and its going to be easy to grab the one you want instead of fishing through a jumble of lines all off the bow of the model. Pretty cool idea.

post-33-0-29521900-1460421132_thumb.jpg

post-33-0-58325500-1460421243.jpg