Bottled Ship Builder

East African 1895

Shipbuilder

Thanks, it looks like it will be a "good one!"     It will soon start looking better.   I always slow down when I am looking at an "empty" hull, but become more enthusiastic as it fills up.     Then I slow down again when I am looking at the three bare masts with no rigging.   But again, once I have started rigging, it is finished in no time at all.     Just about zero interest in it from ship model friends here in the UK.     Not big enough - no guns!

Bob

Bob,

I like warships with sail - they had a bit of character. But I do like the merchant models you do. A couple of things stick in my mind from my RN travels - one was waiting to transit the Panama Canal and being amazed by the variety of 'old fashioned' ships that really belonged in a pre WW2 black and white movie in the queue, and similarly when visiting Belize. There was a ships graveyard of the coast with dozens of abandoned/impounded/wrecked ships. I don't know if its still there. I've looked on Google Earth but can't see anything.

Keep them coming.

Alan

Alan,

What year was that?    I was at sea between early 1961 and late 1992 and up until the 1980s, there were still a lot of ancient merchant ships about, some dating back to the 1920s.    The oldest ships I sailed in were 1943, 1944, and 1949 vintage.   .   Although not eaxctly comfortable, they gave very little trouble technically.   The newest ones, 1974, 1977 and 1990 gave no end of trouble, and although very comfortable, were "a pain in the neck" for the technical departments.    My favourite ship was completed in 1963, and I joined her in 1979, leaving in 1990.

I know I am in a minority by building merchant ships of the late 19th century up until about 1965.    I can't say that I find ships like HMS Victory at all attractive, having the line of a Dutch clog.    Smaller vessels such as frigates look pretty good, but I keep clear of them as far as modelling is concerned because of all those fiddly guns and "unnecessary"  decorations.

Bob

Bob,

1981 - Belize - The ship I was on was the West Indies Guard ship patrol

1986 - Panama - The ship I was on was involved in a 9 month deployment around the world exercising with other navies, plus a few fun visits on the way. Came back via the Suez, but I didn't see much of that - I managed to get on a day trip to the Pyramids - disembarked by boat at Suez, coach to the sights, then coach and boat to re-embark at Port Said. Certainly saw some different vessels over that time.

Alan

A lot more progress has now been made.   The hatches are fitted, also fife rails, catheads, light towers, pumps, cargo winch, capstans and donkey boiler.    Next lot of fittings include mooring bits, ladders, compasses, compass platform, bridge from poop to compass platform, anchors, chartroom, skylights, wheelbox and wheel, compass platform, rails.     The hull will soon be finished now.

Bob

post-34-0-71293800-1459362659_thumb.jpg

Thanks.    It is not too stressfull :)     I drew them at 1 foot to 1 inch scale on a piece of paper.    I then scanned them into the computer as a jpeg and coloured them in with Adobe Photoshop image processing.     If you don't have Adobe Photoshop, or similar, you can use the common "Paint" programme that most computers seem to have.       After they were coloured in, I shrank them down to the required scale, printed them onto self-adhesive film, cut them out, and stuck them on.    The portholes were just drilled in!

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

The deck details are now almost complete.    My patience is now wearing a bit thin, and I am working a lot slower.   No doubt I will speed up again after I have started the masting and rigging.    The display case and base are now assembled and the case is waiting for its veneer edging, whilst the base is awaiting its French Polishing.

Bob

post-34-0-13996200-1460134264_thumb.jpg

Thanks Dave,

The masting & rigging is easy enough, and it is not a very complicated ship anyway.   Only twelve yards, boom and gaff! :)

I find the hull much more demanding.      I wasn't happy with the two forward boats, so I took them off, made and fitted another two!

Bob

Edited by Shipbuilder

The vessel is still mastless at the monent (17th April, 2016 at 1355 BST).     I obtained a new soldering iron an hour ago, and now all the shrouds and ratlines are complete.     The masts, yards, booms and gaff are also completed, but nothing is in the model so far.     Things will move quite fast from now on.   The three masts, complete with topmast & t'gallant mast shrouds and ratlines will go in next, then the lines from under the tops to the fife rails, then the furled fore-and aft sails, the lower shrouds and, ratlines and all the backstays.

Bob

Today, I fitted the three masts.  I then added the lines from under the tops down to the fife rails.    All the shrouds and ratlines were then fitted on all three masts.   The furlled main topmast staysail was fitted and rigged.   The furled mizzen staysail, and mizzen topmast staysail were also fitted and rigged.    I then fitted the backstays to the mizzen mast, fitted the furled spanker and gaff topsail and completed the mizzen mast by adding the running rigging.

The next task is to fit and rig the remaining furled fore-and aft sails.    After that, complete the backstays on fore and main, and finally fit and rig the 12 yards.

Bob

post-34-0-74152500-1460996293_thumb.jpg

I have now fitted all the fore-and-aft stays, and the remaining furled jibs and staysails have also been fitted and rigged.    The next step is to complete the standing rigging by the addition of the backstays.    I have also completed the base, whilst the display case is in the process of being French Polished.    I am now 55 hours into the build, spread over 32 days, and the end is now in sight! :)

Bob

Edited by Shipbuilder

I have now fitted all the fore-and-aft stays, and the remaining furled jibs and staysails have also been fitted and rigged.    The next step is to complete the standing rigging by the addition of the backstays.    I have also completed the base, whilst the display case is in the process of being French Polished.    I am now 55 hours into the build, spread over 32 days, and the end is now in sight! :)

Bob

post-34-0-71171100-1461327989_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shipbuilder