Bottled Ship Builder

Persian Empire 100ft to 1 in

Here is a miniature I built years ago.   Not particularly good, on detail, and a funny colour as well! :o       It was that colour in real life!     My wife's grandfather was an able seaman in the Persian Empire in the late 1890s.     The rigging is a bit too thick, but it is often admired more than my better efforts! :(

Bob

post-34-0-38617900-1454834717_thumb.jpg

Hi Bob

Very nice model. I remember a late friend of mine showing me a  photo of one of the old steel clippers that his great grandfather had served on. Although it was a black and white picture he had been told by his grandfather that the hull was a dark shade of pink. Apparently whilst undergoing repairs in a distant dockyard they decided to paint the hull as it was in a very rusty state. The only paint on offer was white of maroon. There was not sufficient of either, so they mixed it together. Hence a pink hull. 

There was a sailing ship company that had pink hulls, but they described the colour as "crushed strawberry!"     The Empire Line had yellowish-green hulls.      One Welsh sailing ship company solved the problem of unsightly rust by painting their ships rusty brown :lol:

I have sailed in ships with hulls of various colours:   black - white - lavender - yellow - blue and green!

Bob