Bottled Ship Builder

Hello from Melbourne, Aus

AndrewH

Hi, the Forum

I'm sixty-mumble years old, and an Aeromodeller, originally from Scotland, now in Australia and looking to marry soon.

To while away the time I thought a ship in a bottle would be a good occupation to keep learning things.  I am in Awe of the creations I find on the forum, and the sheer helpfullness of everyone.

As my starter I have a glass bauble for a Xmas tree about 3" (75mm) diameter and I have a weakness for Naval Cutters  which are about as long as they are high.  Neck diameter is about 18 mm  so I will have to do some plotting and making a dummy model.

I was planning to use the local version of Fimo for a wild sea, but in a sphere the might be too deep and heavy - happy to take advice

be gentle with me

andrew

In order to cut down on weight you can build a platform out of sheet wood or plastic and build the waves on top of the platform. Paint the inside of the globe below the platform with the sea color. i used clear silicone with paint added for color. It's lighter than clay. .

post-20-0-38057100-1454418309_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-70777200-1454418345_thumb.jpg

I colored the silicone with blue acrylic paint while it was still wet and spread it out on a piece of paper that I had drawn a circle the size of the wood platform. The platform was made up of slats that fit the neck and were glued to a piece of cloth and unfolded in the bottle. Once the silicone was dry I painted white caps, cut the circle out, rolled the sea up and put it on top of the wood with white glue. I then painted the bulb below the platform with the same paint that I mixed in the silicone, adding a touch of Elmers at the edge of the platform to keep it from moving.

Welcome aboard liteflight!  It is good to have you here!

Gwyl

I colored the silicone with blue acrylic paint while it was still wet and spread it out on a piece of paper that I had drawn a circle the size of the wood platform. The platform was made up of slats that fit the neck and were glued to a piece of cloth and unfolded in the bottle. Once the silicone was dry I painted white caps, cut the circle out, rolled the sea up and put it on top of the wood with white glue. I then painted the bulb below the platform with the same paint that I mixed in the silicone, adding a touch of Elmers at the edge of the platform to keep it from moving.

Lord Nelson,  This is a nice technique you used to color the seas!

Gwyl

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is me attempting to master the art of posting photos on this forum.

For the good and sufficient reason that I have started a SIB build and will start a log of it 

Reasons, bottle and materials all to follow on the build log

This is a relevant picture to add

andrew

post-149-0-19263400-1460945698_thumb.jpg

Edited by liteflight

So far, so good

Clearly I have not read and absorbed all the detail on Gwyl's how to post pictures

post-149-0-70076000-1460945877_thumb.jpg

The picture did not appear where intended

AH!  Re-read and followed the instructions - success

thanx - build log to follow involving cats and owls

andrew

Hi, Alan

I'm hoping that I can manage the glass sphere OK, but have just read the thread by JesseLee where the decorations proved to be terminally fragile.

Perhaps as a precaution I should tape the fine neck of the bauble, and probably smooth the cut end of the neck (with fine diamond hones, used wet) 

My first SIB build has changed - and I will be posting a build log of it in the next day or two......

Just as soon as we get internet back and I can get pictures off a camera.

The build will be slightly unconventional, and require some explanation, but fragility of the bottle will not be one of the problems, and the "sea" is already taken care of :)

andrew

Edited by AndrewH